Pensacola Fishing Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

Just wondered if anyone could tell me a good program to move coordinates from my gps to microsoft excell and from excell back to the gps? My unit is a garmin 388 and my friend has a garmin 300 series (not sure which one). Is there a program out there that will do this for both units? Also, what is the best way to move them: a usb cable or what?

Thanks in advance for all the help.

Josh

·
Registered
3,710 Posts
I'm pretty sure Garmin's program called Mapsource will do it for you. You can purchase it online fairly cheap. Mapsource is cool in that you canimport your waypoints in from the GPS and save them as a Mapsource file and thenedit your waypoints and send it back toyour GPS so you might not even need to export to an excel file. With Mapsource you can also create waypoints on your computer and transfer them to the GPS as well as view those waypoints through Google Earth! If you have a Garmin GPS you should get Mapsource, it makes managing your waypoints and routes a breeze!

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
69 is correct, the best way if your unit has a removable card is Mapsourcealong a card reader but I really wouldn't use excel as you managing program.

Here is another program that works with alot of Garmin units and it's free.

http://www.easygps.com/

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
If you do end up in excel (I use excel to store my numbers in my backup) here is a link to a spreadsheet I made that calculates bearing and distance from a given waypoint (I use the pass). As far as the actual data transfer, I use furuno and hook it up to my PC through a com port so I can't help you much with a garmin unit. http://pensacolafishingforum.com/fishingforum/Topic449486-10-1.aspx

I've also used GPSU to move numbers around. The free version only lets you move 100 numbers though.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
does this easygps work with units that are not handheld? Also, what is the best way to get the numbers to the computer? (usb able, card reader,etc...) My unit has a removable card.

Thanks,

Josh

·
Registered
3,710 Posts
jman (3/4/2010)does this easygps work with units that are not handheld? Also, what is the best way to get the numbers to the computer? (usb able, card reader,etc...) My unit has a removable card.

Thanks,

Josh
If your unit has a removable card then you just need a card reader normally connected to the computervia USB. Go to the Easygps website and they should have a list of GPS their site works with. Personally I spent the $20 andbought theGarmin Mapsource program, I can transfer files to my computer for backup and transfer files between most if not all Garmin GPS units. The really cool feature I like about Mapsource is once you have all the waypoints loaded upon your computer you can go to View andchoose View in GoogleEarth and it transfers all your waypoints to Google Earth where you can then print out a detailed map of all your waypoints.

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
gotta agree with 69, I use mapsource as well and it works great and I use that whenever possible. I've used the easygps in the past and it will get the job done. to do it with easygps, you would need to take your laptop to your garmin and hook up via usb and transfer the data to/from your pc. w/ mapsource and a card reader, pull the card and take it to your pc. the easygps will be a bit more labor intensive to navigate and manage your data because it's set up to work w/ multiple brands. the mapsource is specific and made to work hand in hand with your gps and is easy to use just like the garmin. the card reader might work with easygps, but I couldn't say for sure, I've never tried it.

·
Premium Member
11,237 Posts
trip & waypoint manager is just what you need. i have a copy but can't burn it, i guess it's copyright thing. i could meet you somewhere next week and let you borrow it if you can't get it anywhere else. just let me know.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts