Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We pulled the Cummins out of the old "Lite Catch" during the summer and have decided to put them in the Topaz. The Topaz has 3208 Cat's in her and I can't work on the outboard sides of the engines. The port engine has an oil leak i cannot get to it to fix it. So i was going to have to pull the Cat out in order to fix it. With that said I decided to just do and engine swap. Not too bad if you say it fast! I hope to have the Topaz up and running for the spring cobia run. Things are not looking too good for that. This will be the first cobia run in 20 years i have not fished. (the pressure is on!). The Cummins need some small leaks fixed (oil, water, and exhaust) as well as some very needed paint work. I rebuilt these engines about 8 years ago and they are showing some "marine" age. I have the port engine 95% finished and have started (as of last night) on the starboard engine. Not sure how easy the repower will turn out but at least it is not like the one i did on the 33 Concorde. I had to convert it from gas to diesel. I did that one in about 2 months! I was younger then!!!! Well wish me luck and i hope to see you guys out there in the spring cobia run. I need to hurry!! I already have people asking about cobia charters!!

Attachments

·
Registered
4,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The Cat's are 320 hp and the Cummins are B270's. I have bored the Cummins .020 over and turned the pumps up 10% not sure of the hp now but they are strong! The Cats torque curve and the Cummins are close at 2400 rpm. The Cummins actually have more torque at that rpm. If i remember right (paperwork is at work) at 2400 rpm the Cat produces 201 hp and the Cummins at the same rpm produces 234 hp. The boat will also loose 1400 pounds of iron in the swap. If i can get a 20 kt cruise i will be happy. I know the Cummins are more efficient that the Cats.

·
Premium Member
1,830 Posts
The Cat's are 320 hp and the Cummins are B270's. I have bored the Cummins .020 over and turned the pumps up 10% not sure of the hp now but they are strong! The Cats torque curve and the Cummins are close at 2400 rpm. The Cummins actually have more torque at that rpm. If i remember right (paperwork is at work) at 2400 rpm the Cat produces 201 hp and the Cummins at the same rpm produces 234 hp. The boat will also loose 1400 pounds of iron in the swap. If i can get a 20 kt cruise i will be happy. I know the Cummins are more efficient that the Cats.
Losing that much weight you are probably gonna get that cruise. I believe that Cummins will have a little more torque so you will be able to add a little more pitch to your props

Good luck, hope it works out

·
Registered
5,774 Posts
Good Luck Scott...We had a Crows nest and controls going this time last year.

I couldn't make the Mardi Gras Flotilla last year , but we did get in some fishing.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Wow, looks like quite a project. Wish I was closer, would like to assist as I am always up for learning something new and I never have done a re power.

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
awesome work Scott. You're an ambitious soul my friend!!

·
Registered
4,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yes i am going to sell the Cat 3208's.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I'm interested, why don't you text me what you would like to get for them and we can see if we can work something out. Tom 251-979-2682

1 - 20 of 20 Posts