Pensacola Fishing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I see that the Alabama has closed the shrimping season as usual for this time of year. Has anyone heard anything about the opening and if things may be delayed like last year? Think it'll open mid-June like normal? I never got my net in the water last year and really want to give it a shot this year!

·
Registered
437 Posts
I haven't heard anything yet, but I will let you know if I do. Last year was just miserable! It's nice to hear about some other PFF shrimpers from Alabama. We usually drag wolf bay - how bout you?

·
Registered
230 Posts
I bought a net last year - only went out one time and barely caught enough for a decent shrimp cocktail. I Live in north Alabama and would appreciate any updates on the Alabama season.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wolf Bay is where I'm targeting, but I would think the West side of Perdido bay would be just as good as long as you know you're in Alabama waters.

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
Anyone throwing these shrimp cast nets around these parts?
http://beachshop.ecarolinabeaches.com/Bait-Buster-Superior-Handmade-Shrimp-Cast/A/B00018I7HY.htm

When I was living in Daytona, it was a new design (as far as I can research anyway) and many were claiming great success. I never tried one as I throw a nice "taco" and shrimp don't often hit a sabiki...:blush:

With my strong side arm so damaged following the SUV roll over, I will not be learnin' the art of the cast net now...

what do ya'll mean by "drag"? A small boat trawl?
Brent

·
Registered
437 Posts
I've heard good things about the west side of Perdido Bay, but you've got to be really sure you line it up right or you just might lose thatnetto a stump or rock pile.We have a friend that lives right next to Pirate's Cove Marina.He drags pretty oftenwhen the season is open. We usually make our decision to go based on his report. I'll PMyou with some updatescurtisjet.

A few weeks ago he drug 3 times for 45 minutes - only caught 45 shrimp.....not good yet

·
Registered
280 Posts
We went last year for opening around Dauphin Island and we had about 150 pounds. But they were 40-50 count. I went around the south side of the Island last time I was home and I got 150 12 count shrimp in about 3 or 4 hours. Really pretty shrimp.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Anybody heard anything on Shrimping yetthis year? I know all coastal waters are closed in Alabama, and I guess inshore could be next if these reports of oil coming through Perdido Pass are true. I'm guessing they'll probably not open recreational shrimping and it won't matter anyway if the oil gets in. Any information out there? The current map of course shows the regular mid-May closure, but no word of a re-opening. Alabama Shrimping Map

-Curtis

1 - 8 of 8 Posts