Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our annual Navarre beach trip is next week! I bought a kayak two years ago, and I did some fishing in the bay. But this year I want to step it up a notch and try fishing in the gulf!

So when I fished in the bay, I just copied how I fish for stripers in freshwater lakes. I bought bull minnows from the store, and trolled them on a freeline and a downline. I had a third rod along with a lure on to throw at surfacing fish. This method helped me catch some gafftopsail catfish, as well as a red drum and a sea trout.
I have a Ocean kayak Malibu Two (tandem). I know, not the best fishing rig, but I have rod holders and am adding a Lowrance Elite 4x this year.

So I'm not really targeting any particular species, about anything would be new for me!
Sorry for the long intro, I guess my main questions are:

1. How far out should I try fishing? What's a good starting depth? I will be launching off the beach at the condo a half mile west of the pier.

2. What kind of bait is best? Live or cut? Will the bull minnows from the store work, or can I catch something else (I have a cast net, or what's the best way to catch bait?)

3. How deep should I fish the bait?

4. Is fishing best in the morning, like freshwater?

5. Any favorite lures for this time of year?

6. Anything else a newb should know, dangers, common mistakes?

Thanks in advance for any help!!

·
Registered
60 Posts
I started Kayak Fishing several years ago with a Malibu 2. I always felt it was very slow especially fighting the wind. If you go into the gulf be sure that your not going out on a strong north wind. Especially solo with that kayak. It can look nice from the beach but very dangerous once your out. I would troll a king rig just past the 2nd sand bar 30' ish depth. frozen cigar minnows work fine.
have all your safety gear

·
Registered
810 Posts
1. How far out should I try fishing? What's a good starting depth? I will be launching off the beach at the condo a half mile west of the pier.

2. What kind of bait is best? Live or cut? Will the bull minnows from the store work, or can I catch something else (I have a cast net, or what's the best way to catch bait?)

3. How deep should I fish the bait?

4. Is fishing best in the morning, like freshwater?

5. Any favorite lures for this time of year?

6. Anything else a newb should know, dangers, common mistakes?

Thanks in advance for any help!!
OK so a lot of questions here:

1. You don't have to go out very far. I would advise you to go out with someone who has experience in the gulf. But within a mile has good fishing.

2. Live cigar minnows will catch a lot of different species of fish. You can also use a live hardtail. A sabiki is the best way to catch them.

3. You should fish the bait the same depth as you found them.

4 I have found that early in the morning does produce fish but tides affect fishing as well.

5. Anything flashy will at least catch Spanish mackerel. Pick up some gotcha lures, that will be the easiest. I prefer silver with a red head, chartreuse works too.

6. Do not go out in a strong north wind, you won't make it back, have a pfd and a signaling device (whistle). Always look for nearing boats.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you all very much for the input! Longboarder, you're right about the malibu two being a little sluggish in the wind. If I did this any more than one week a year I would get set up better, but I gotta do with what I got for now.

Thanks for the warnings, it's impossible to be too safe. I do have some experience kayaking in the surf, just not fishing.
I always wear a pfd, have a whistle, and I plan to only go out just past the sandbar as mentioned.
I also don't feel like fishing in rough surf, so I will try to pick a calm day. Good point about the north wind, I don't want to visit Cuba anytime soon.

I've never used a sabiki, I think I will have to check it out and learn that trick.

One other question, do most of these fish have line-cutting teeth, do I need to use steel leaders? Most of my rods now have 12, 15, or 20 lb mono, should I be using braid?

·
Registered
141 Posts
I will agree with spitline on this be careful but most of my trips are solo if it is too rough don't launch. That being said when you head out in the gulf there is always a chance something happens but you could get injured in a car wreck too. Bring sabiki rig and a bait bucket to throw in the water and you should be able to keep a few alive. Always have frozen cigs with you though

1 - 8 of 8 Posts