Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a question for some of you more experienced hunters. Is it better to sit up wind or down wind of the area you are watching or the area that the deer are moving thru?

·
Registered
3,474 Posts
OK I'll bite, hope it's not a trick question LOL! I'm going to use common sense and say you want to be down wind of the area you are hunting with the wind in your face so the deer aren't going to smell you. The wind at your back would not be good.

·
Your mom's a
6,790 Posts
Unless they're traveling from behind you.

We have a spot like that. Face north but they come from the South or Southeast.

You're screwed either way but we see lots of deer there.

·
Registered
3,474 Posts
JoeZ (1/22/2010)Unless they're traveling from behind you.

We have a spot like that. Face north but they come from the South or Southeast.

You're screwed either way but we see lots of deer there.
No problem today and tomorrow, nice SE wind unusual for this time of year!

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well the wind is out of the NNW today and will be more easterly tomorrow. I have killed deer up and down wind but I had heard that dear will circle around and travel up wind so they can smell predators. That's why I was wondering if it was best to sit up wind...so I can see the coming.

·
Registered
3,474 Posts
Southernblood77 (1/22/2010)Well the wind is out of the NNW today and will be more easterly tomorrow. I have killed deer up and down wind but I had heard that dear will circle around and travel up wind so they can smell predators. That's why I was wondering if it was best to sit up wind...so I can see the coming.
It's 66 degrees outside and thewinds are out of the SW or at least they are here in Warm & Sunny Fort Walton Beach! Forecast has winds alternating between SW and SE today thru Sunday so I plan to sit on the North side of a trail I'll be watching tomorrow! Good luck out there no matter the wind direction! TGIF :letsdrink

·
Registered
823 Posts
Sit up wind, don't shower or wash your clothes in sent free soap. Talk, fart, and smoke while in the stand! Believe it or not it seems to work for some of the goof balls I hunt with!

Well, worked out for one last weekend anyway...

17.5 inch 9 pt 175lbs.

·
Registered
107 Posts
if you sit down wind it don't matter what you use for sent, they won't smell you untill they pass. shot a prong at 20 feet

never new i was there take from it what you will and good luck. deer seem to be psychyc no matter what.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts