Pensacola Fishing Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
EAT-SLEEP-GO FISHING
4,240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sure not seeing much in the way of river fishing reports. As it does every winter it's up and down. The latest rain will push it up from about 8 ft. at Caryville to nearly 10 ft. by mid-week. Actually the high water is best fishing time for those who like the backwater. About a week or so ago a friend did well...14 keeper bream/shellcrackers and 12 eater catfish. I have tried the backwater several times but so far haven't been able to figure it out.

This winter the brain and body energy don't seem to communicate very well. The brain says get up and go and the body says wait for fair weather. The body seems to win out most of the time.

What fishing I have done for past couple of months or more has been on the river looking for catfish. Did OK when it was a little warmer, but the last couple of trips were nothing more than a nice day in the outdoors. Have run into guys I know and their catfish luck has been about the same as mine, and they are very accomplished river guys.

The weather is looking good tomorrow. After I finish with my tax man I may make a mullet run just to get out on a good weather day. So far mullet fishing has been nil but sooner or later the silvers will show up

Anyone out there poking around care to share their story?

·
VIP of the PFF
8,830 Posts
I can't make up my mind on whether I'm going bream fishing or speckled trout fishing tomorrow. I want a mess of shellcrackers ,but they have been difficult for me to locate this winter....and the trout have been for the most part...pretty reliable. The bluegill bite was good to me on both of the trips that I tried for them this winter ....I just can't find where those dang shellcrackers are hanging out this winter.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,271 Posts
I can't make up my mind on whether I'm going bream fishing or speckled trout fishing tomorrow. I want a mess of shellcrackers ,but they have been difficult for me to locate this winter....and the trout have been for the most part...pretty reliable. The bluegill bite was good to me on both of the trips that I tried for them this winter ....I just can't find where those dang shellcrackers are hanging out this winter.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
My friend's mom in Gadsden used to cook up a mess of shellcrackers from South Sauty near Guntersville where they had a campsite trailer. I have not eaten that good since. I should start freshwater fishing again.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts