Pensacola Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sure everybody has their favorite bait for catching certain fish. It could be specific to the target species or just whatever is most readily available.

I've been interested in the unusual. I've heard of challenges where stuff from the grocery store is used or pieces of shiny metal or even a McDonald's straw.

This summer, I'll be in Pensacola and I'm going to try to catch something on a hot dog! I just feel the need to try.

Has anybody else tried some kind of unusual bait and had any success?

:unsure:

·
US ARMY 2d ID VETERAN
3,964 Posts
I use hotdogs all the time for catfish. Works very well. Now everyone knows my secret. :oops:
Took some beanie weenies and saltines for lunch out in the gulf.
I didn't know they were outdated by a year until after I happened to see the expiration date.
Meh, I ate 'em anyway. :giggle:
Rinsed the cans (ate 2) out over the side before putting them in the garbage, and little fishies
came up eating the beans as some were going down.
Ya'know, I'd try pouring a whole can of pork'n'beans over the side as chum bait, but I'd just rather eat it myself. 😉

·
Registered
3,474 Posts
I use hotdogs all the time for catfish. Works very well. Now everyone knows my secret. :oops:
Took some beanie weenies and saltines for lunch out in the gulf.
I didn't know they were outdated by a year until after I happened to see the expiration date.
Meh, I ate 'em anyway. :giggle:
Rinsed the cans (ate 2) out over the side before putting them in the garbage, and little fishies
came up eating the beans as some were going down.
Ya'know, I'd try pouring a whole can of pork'n'beans over the side as chum bait, but I'd just rather eat it myself. 😉
Funny. I remember a time pulling up in a creek mouth in the river casted out some lines while passing the time digging around in the boat. Found a bag of snacks from a previous multiple day trip down south anyway. Opened the stuff up and dumped into the river food not trash. Wound up catching a few catfish there. Upon cleaning them they had peanuts in them from trail mix that was dumped. Another time we stopped and got a bucket of chicken to eat one night and ate it threw bones out on anchor. Several of those catfish had chicken bones in there belly’s.

·
Jaded Old Phart
7,158 Posts
Caught a Cobia on one
Was chunking for snapper, they didn't come up in the water column for them.
Finally got bit when it was probably 2/3 of the way down. Barely legal so was still stupid.
Maybe because the can was on the boat for 8 years?

ETA Maybe the hook showing didn't help either. :whistle:

Food Wood Ingredient Knife Recipe

Fin Fish Tail Fish products Red seabream

1 - 20 of 23 Posts