Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,599 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What’s the best way to keep bees from eating holes in untreated wood? Was planning to stain the untreated wood but from what I’m reading, stained wood really doesn’t bother them. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
PT wood doesn't deter them much either. They love my PT 4"X4" fence posts! Wasp and hornet spray are the only things I've had results with. They can burrow in deep. The foaming spray seems to work best for their tunnels. On the plus side, they stay busy pollinating my garden!

·
Registered
6,438 Posts
If you are a good shot, a Red Ryder BB gun is sporting. I am not that good a shot. A Bug-A-Salt will bring them down and a flip-flop stomp will seal the deal. A friend installed 2 bee traps at his hunting camp and fills them up every spring. Involved a wood trap and a 2-liter soda jug. Look up The Best Selling Carpenter Bee Trap, Patent No. RE46.421 on Amazon. It uses a mason jar but same concept.

Reactions: Worn Out

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
I put diametrus earth in their holes to kill them and have 2 quart sprayers with poison ready to shoot all I see. I also spray the yard before they emerge, made a huge difference this year from last

·
Registered
3,324 Posts
I usually wait until after dark when they are all "at home" in their burrow then cram a piece of paper towel into the entrance and saturate it with ether starting fluid. I also save the little red straws that come on cans of WD40. You can fit them into the spray head on the ether starting fluid and run it up into the burrows and give them a direct shot that way.:thumbsup:

I also have a couple of badminton rackets that I bought at the thrift store and use to go John Mcenroe on em when I catch them buzzing around. Very satisfying.:yes:

·
Registered
609 Posts
I killed a couple hundred one spring. My garden suffered for it.
I know they don't like BLP Mobile paint. Which kind, I don't remember.

·
Super Moderator
28,374 Posts
Love hitting em with a tennis racket! Also shooting at em with the scattergun....just gotta make sure you have a safe backstop which gets tricky!!! I made bee traps and hang em in the areas and catch quite a few. I do mine out of 4x4 and just drill the holes.

·
Registered
4,508 Posts
A .22 revolver with rat shot. I have dazzled a few folks that thought I was shooting solids. Don't forget to laugh maniacally after a hit.

Something I haven't tried yet is hanging a plastic bag full of plastic bags made to look like a hornet's nest. The bees are supposed to shy away from hornets.

·
Registered
3,648 Posts
Badminton racquet. Great fun until you hit a window in your car with the backswing. Yeah, there's a story there.

Reactions: lastcast
1 - 18 of 18 Posts