Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yep, my buddy Mike hooked me up with a sweet PSE bow. I'm very new to all of this. I shot a bow for the first time just a week or so ago at a buddy's house. My grouping was about the size of a softball but I was pretty close. Maybe 30 feet. So I need some pointers. I know to take deep breaths and hold just before shooting.Any other tips or equipment that will help? I have a stabalizer bar, silincers on the string, fiber optic sights, and a release trigger. I want to get a peep sight and maybe have the draw shortened a little. I'm not sure if I'll get a chance to hunt this year, but come next season I hope to share a story or two.

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
Good for you man, I switched to PSE this year, used of course. Do you have an arrow rest or wisker biscuit? Get one of the two, that will help tremendously. Oh yeah, take a look at the display models before you chose a peep site, some a better than others and most are inexpensive and can be installed in less than 10 mins at any archery store.

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
Go to a bow shop like Outcasts or Mikes. The bow needs to be fitted toyou, and they will need to put it in abow pressto add silencers and a peep (a must have item).

·
Registered
7,405 Posts
konz (11/4/2008)Yep, my buddy Mike hooked me up with a sweet PSE bow. I'm very new to all of this. I shot a bow for the first time just a week or so ago at a buddy's house. My grouping was about the size of a softball but I was pretty close. Maybe 30 feet. So I need some pointers. I know to take deep breaths and hold just before shooting.Any other tips or equipment that will help? I have a stabalizer bar, silincers on the string, fiber optic sights, and a release trigger. I want to get a peep sight and maybe have the draw shortened a little. I'm not sure if I'll get a chance to hunt this year, but come next season I hope to share a story or two.

After 25 years my most valuable single statement is:

"Hold your bow hand on the target, and the pin remain on the target UNTIL AFTER you hear the arrow hit it's mark".

You WILL shoot tighter groups, especially at longer distances)

Welcome to a very enjoyable recreation.

·
Registered
869 Posts
Did you really polish the arrows that your bow came with??????????????????????????

LOL

I think we should go shoot something!!!

·
Registered
3,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the comments guys.......and Ken I have not polished any arrows....Christy must have been talking smack........haha! Yeah we need to shoot something.

I don't know if it makes a difference but the bow is older........early 90's i think. It's a lightning flite 2. It's a bigger bow but hey, I'm a big guy.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
I'm sure somebody has told you by now Ray but make sure your release point is exactly the same every shot. Congratulations but it is not as easy as it sounds to kill a deer with one. Sounds like a good setup.

·
Registered
352 Posts
I actually don't hold my breath when shooting, just breath normal, keep both eyes open. I started shooting fingers, a release will only improve your accuracy but not necessary. Give me a shout any time you want to shoot, I try to shoot a few times per week in the back yard.

P.S. YOU gonna get a climbing stand or stick with a ground blind?

·
Registered
3,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I haven't checked on stands yet........but it would have to be a damn strong climber to haul my big ass up the tree!

·
Registered
699 Posts
Ray they have stands that will hold you.Get up with me tomarrow at work and we can plan a shooting get together.

Since I stuck one sat I have some fresh so maybe we can fire up the grill

·
Registered
3,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Shot it yesterday at a buddys house. Had a peep sight put on and I'm going to get some new fiber optic sights since the ones on it are pretty beat up. I was able to make due and I was pretty dead on at 20 yards. Still need lots of practice.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Ray.. 1st deer my dad took with that bow... it went straight through...:blownaway he didn't even realize it till the deer got bloody took off a few yards and dropped. i dont even think that the deer knew he was hit. mmmmm venison backstrap..!:hungry

1 - 20 of 20 Posts