Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
3,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Ocean Man (3/16/2010)I love my Ugly Sticks for both inshore and offshore. The only problem I have with them is it is getting hard to find a one piece rod. For some reason they seem to be making mostly two piece rods. (I hate two piece rods.)
I can't stand two piece rods either.They have a good few diff sizes and actions at the Walmart in GB Improper that are one piece.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Most of my offshore rods are built on Ugly Stick GBU84-6 blanks, either whole or cut (either tip or butt) These are custom built rods and some of them have been in my arsenal since 1992, everything from 20# spin rods, 15# deep jigging rods to 50# stand-up's. I've even built rods for a friend who salmon fishes using downriggers and occasionally will hang a halibut, These were built on a GBU96-5. They have enough tip flex for downrigger fishing, but still have enough backbone to lift a big halibut. Unfortunately, Shakespeare discontinued selling blanks to the public several years ago. One of the best, most popular Grouper rods we sell at the tackle store where I work is the Ugly Stick Custom USCB 1170 MH, a parabolic action rod good for 30 - 50# line. Couple this with a 400 or 450 Daiwa Sealine, loaded with 50# mono it's a great combo for @ $200.

The Ugly Stick Lites are also a very good value.

Like others have said, the other Ugly Stick's, the ones with a clear tip seem a little "tip flimsy" and are IMHO, a little heavy for casting all day long. They do make good kingfish rod and snapper rods though.

The only error I've sen in the above postings is the "Lifetime warranty" Ugly Sticks only carry a 1 year to 7 year warranty, depending upon model

http://www.shakespeare-fishing.com/service/warranty.shtml

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
<P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt">I have 5 medium action that I use for inshore and light offshore and I love them, can?t beat them for the price. I also have one superlight action and it?s good also. For heavier action offshore I use <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:place w:st="on">Key Largo</st1:place>.

·
Registered
687 Posts
Love them for inshore, in fact if anyone sees a 6ft 1 piece ultra light, please shoot me a pm.Can't seem to find one. No offense to to those who buy high dollar stuff, but I have never felt the need b/c of my Ugly Stick.I also fish the flats more than anything else, so that makes a difference for me as well. And they have the best commercials.

·
Registered
3,381 Posts
TOBO (3/17/2010)Love them for inshore, in fact if anyone sees a 6ft 1 piece ultra light, please shoot me a pm.Can't seem to find one. No offense to to those who buy high dollar stuff, but I have never felt the need b/c of my Ugly Stick.I also fish the flats more than anything else, so that makes a difference for me as well. And they have the best commercials.
I have one but you can't have it :poke It's Anthony's pinfish pole and he'd not be happy if I sold it on him! Have you checked Ebay?

21 - 26 of 26 Posts