Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Friends and I went out from Gulf Breeze side of bridge first time this morning about 7:30 A(ouch $10 launch fee). Very light wave action to begin the day, motored over to east side of bridge and got set up. Morning began with a couple of white trout and two croakers on dead shrimp, one on Gulp new penny shrimp, and then I got a bite on Gulp small gray crab fishing on bottom 31' of water. I pulled up the ugliest fish I have ever caught. (see pic) I had no idea what it was, but after some research when we got home, it was determined to be a Southern Kingfish (locally known as a sand mullet). After that the wind kicked up, bay got choppy and the bite was off. Didn't catch alot but what a beautiful day to be on the water with good friends.

Fish On !!

Key West 1720

·
Neptune calls me "Daddy"
9,091 Posts
They're usually a lot lighter in color, not quite so ugly when they're tan colored.

I dunno, but bass are different colors based on where they're caught, I'd bet the ones caught along the beach are a lighter color base on water clarity, etc.

Jim

·
Registered
931 Posts
yea they look alot different when you catch them in the surf and yes they are good eating. you havent caught a toad fish aka oyster cracker before have you? picture a tadpole 6-10in long but with a mouth full of teeth and quite a bit of PSI behind them.

·
Registered
3,697 Posts
specslayer (4/24/2009)yea they look alot different when you catch them in the surf and yes they are good eating. you havent caught a toad fish aka oyster cracker before have you? picture a tadpole 6-10in long but with a mouth full of teeth and quite a bit of PSI behind them.
lol

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
that there is a speckled bellied golly whopper! seriously, i told a guy at The Original Point restaurant that one of the fish in their aquarium was that species and I overheard him later tellingpeople he was with that the fish in the tank were s.b.g.w.'s...LOL

If that is a whiting that is a shite colored one- all mine were always silver/gray, but i caught mine at P Beach pier.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Thanks for the report and I agree $10 does seem excessive.

The fish is either a Southern or Northern Kingfish. There are three different Kingfish - Southern, Northern, and Gulf. The Gulf is the most common around here and is the silver one. They are very good eating but don't get very large.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts