Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
My first rifle was a .30-30, and I wish I wouldn't have bought it. It kicks juts as much as an 06 and the accuracy and power is lacking. I bought a bolt action as soon as I could afford one.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
ASK AND YOU SHALL RECEIVE. ALL OF YOU HAD GREAT SUGGESTIONS. I HAD TOTALLY FORGOTTEN ABOUT THE REDUCED RECOIL ROUNDS. I MAY TRY TO BORROW A COUPLE OF GUNS FROM BUDDIES AND JUST LET HIM SHOOT THEM TO SEE WHAT HE IS COMFORTABLE WITH. THANKS FOR THE INFO.

·
Banned
1,645 Posts
itsme (9/2/2008)
hebegb (9/2/2008)bought my son a 7mm Mag

good lord!!! why didn't you just get him a bazooka instead...about the same. hell, he'll be able to put some deer on the ground with that thing...shooting a 7 mag at whitetails is a little overkill, no?...kinda like catch a largemouth bass with a 50 wide reel. don't worry he'll be able to go elephant hunting soon with that gun.

nah...with the 145 gr loads it hardly recoils at all...It has great flat trajectory for long shots too

now, with a 180 gr load....they will get knocked down!

plus....he will bear hunt with it.

also, just to note...he is 14 but 6'-2" 180 so...

·
Banned
1,645 Posts
Baitcaster (9/3/2008)surprised nobody mentioned a 30-30 lever action .

I have a .44 mag lever action that would be great at ranges less than 100 yrds.

don't forget, a badly fitted longarm is going to kick more .

I don't like a lever action with beginners...my brother damn near shot his foot off unloading one !!!

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
My son got his first deer last year using a Ruger M 77 Compact in .308. It is a great little bolt gun and comes in quite a few calibers. They also make one you can mount a forward or scout style scope to.

·
Registered
2,986 Posts
the ruger that you are talking about is the ruger frontier if i am not mistaken. the scope is mounted like a scout gun, way to the front. i think it takes a pistol scope or a scope that has a bunch of eye relief on it.

·
Registered
309 Posts
KEITH58 (9/3/2008)ASK AND YOU SHALL RECEIVE. ALL OF YOU HAD GREAT SUGGESTIONS. I HAD TOTALLY FORGOTTEN ABOUT THE REDUCED RECOIL ROUNDS. I MAY TRY TO BORROW A COUPLE OF GUNS FROM BUDDIES AND JUST LET HIM SHOOT THEM TO SEE WHAT HE IS COMFORTABLE WITH. THANKS FOR THE INFO.
We used these shells for my nephew last year in a 30-30. He shoot four deer 2 spikes(his first 2 deer before get reemed) and 2 does. We had to trail all 4 of them more than 600 yards. Needless to say this year he'll be shooting a 7-08. All the deer he shot last year were heart and lung shots, just not very much knock down.

·
Super Moderator
27,931 Posts
Keith, what ever you decide---223/243/7-08 make sure it's a youth model. I don't know how big your 9 year old is, but mine is probably average size to smaller, and he loves his 223 NEF. I'll probably move him up to 7-08 next year. The 223 will kill a deer no problem....the 2 he has shot, 1 dropped and the other ran about 30 yards w/ a massive blood trail. Good thing about the 223 is that it screams at 2600-2900 FPS which means when it enters the chest cavity, it makes jello out of it by making it expand FAST!!! When ya'll come out, we'll have him take a shot or 2:letsdrink

·
Registered
6,016 Posts
Ask ten people get ten answers...... LOL

Depends on what you want to accomplish. A 30-30 is great for brush and doesn't kick much, the NEF's are cheap and you shouldn't need more than one shot, a .223 is good for a beginner but you grow out of it quickly, a .243 is something they can use for years to come, I bought my boy the Remington 710 in .243.

·
Registered
545 Posts
The Ruger Compact in 7-08 is a great gun for kids. Sometimes the trigger needs a little work but overall a great gun. As stated above, make sure the gun fits your son. Fit and comfort are very important. If he is on the smaller side make sure to get a gun with a shorter pull length. JMO, Boo

21 - 31 of 31 Posts