Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Praedator
9,914 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Me and Jeff (Sniper-spear-it) hadn't been out underwater in a while and we needed a fix. After some discussion we decided that we needed some type of on the water therapy despite the weather and sea's forecast.

Headed out of Navy Point yesterday around 6am. Got to the pass and it was very decieving on the inside. It didn't look too bad. So off we went in search of some spanish. It didn't take us long to find the schools busting the top. We trolled spoons and casted at them as well. But the seas started to build considerably in the pass. We took one over the side of the boat and decided that it was time to end our seach for spanish.

Finally Spanish tally for about one hour or so.

We then proceded to try and catch us some bait to catch some redfish in the pass. Caught some bait and anchored up by the jetties where we were protected from the swells. But the current was just too strong to get any bait down.

So our final plan was to go and find some toothy critters in the bay. We had caught a Bonita in the passto use as some bait. Got setup and waited for a bit. We caught two very small sharks and then nothing for a bit. About 30-40 minutes later, Jeff's rod startspulling off drag.

This one was something big. About 10 minutes into his fight, my rod starts to peel off drag. I fight something big for about 15 minutes and finally see color. Turned out to be a huge ray. Estimated to be about 60 or so pounds.

Jeff could never turn what ever monster he had and it eventually broke him off.:banghead:banghead

Setup again, and Jeff's rod screams again.

Jeff could never make any headway with this one either. He fought it for over 30 mintues until a last drag screaming run and then broke him off.:banghead

By this time, it was time for us to head back in. It was a blast. We wished that we could have saw what was on the end of those two runs, but it was a blast either way. Jeff had 80 lb braid with a 105 lb steel leader on. So we know that they were big.

Thanks again for the crack fix Jeff. It was a blast.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
jeff im going to have to take you to shark catchingschool! jk glad to see you got out. mama must of given the big ok. it wont be long and you will have a permanent partner:baby. nice pics of the action and thanks for posting. we need to get out one of these days! give me a call.

bruce

p.s love the floor!

·
Banned
910 Posts
Not bad for a couple of spear fishers. :poke Sounds like a good day on the water. Of course as long as ther's no equipment failure it's always a good day on the water.

·
Registered
260 Posts
yes it was great fun on the water.cant wait to do it again jon. maybe this weekend i will be back in my element. hopefully i will have some steel slinging adventures for you. H&L was my first love though. Happy hunting

Just remember, If you're not afraid to shoot it, its not big enough

·
Praedator
9,914 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Let me know if you want to get out this weekend Jeff. I can probably get out on Sunday. Weather is looking good.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts