Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Woke up this morning at 6 and went and picked up the only surviving turtle, the little one passed during the night. Got to my dads office at 615 and it was ready to go, crawling all over the place. So we put the turtle in my moms impala covered in sleeping bagsmostly to keep it from moving around too much. we got to gulfarium and they started giving it fluids and some antibiotics just incase. after that was done PK as the turtle was labeled with nail polish for ID and where it was found (perdido key) was put in a tank with 79 other turtles and swam off energetic as could be. Heres some pics hope you enjoy. Oh also my dad found 5 dead turtles and 3 live ones that were also taken to gulfarium later this morning. THEY ARE STILL OUT THERE KEEP YOUR EYE OUT.

turtles

more turtles

they are soo pretty...i would love to see a hawksbill up close theyre even more beautiful

pretty pretty, thats PK in the background where the upclose turtles head is.

one of the larger ones

and heres PK saying hey

·
SaltWaterDave
1,847 Posts
Would you say that we need to start voluneering time to go look and locate more turtles, say tomorrow? And where are the most common places to find them? IE north shoreline VS south shorelines?

I'd be more than willing to spend the day looking and gathering. Could the gulfarium handle the load if paople started volunteering for this? Your dad? Let me know if I can help in any way, thanks, Dave.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Great job on helping to keep the turtles alive!

I caught a glimpse of WEAR 3 news and they showed some turtles and explained "turtle stun".

:usaflag

·
Registered
52 Posts
may go out in the morning will keep and eye out. Saw the other post and would like to help.If a'll need another boat I am at Navy point and have any day to help.:bowdown

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
They are mostly on the north shore of the island because of the strong north wind lately. But yes gulfaruim can handle more turtles. If you want to go look that would be GREATLY appreciated just if you find one dead or alive call mark nicholas 850 232 3619. Hopefully this warmER weather will help alot.

·
SaltWaterDave
1,847 Posts
I'll be preparing for a trip tomorrow then. What are some good ways to keep them healthy if found? What bodies of water are they most likely to be around? Bay/ Sound/ Beach? I will program your dads phone number and call him if we find anything.

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
if you find a live one warm it any way you can but do not put extreme heat on the they need to warm up slowly. They are pretty much all greens that LIVE in the sound eating sea grass. So check thesouthside of theicw which would be the north shore of the island. if you find one and bring it aboard put it on some type of mat either fowm or sleeping bag/we also you can pour fresh water on their head to moisten their eyes and give them a little drink. but as soon as you find one call my dad he will give any other instructions.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Hopefully,after tonight we will get back to "normal" weather patterns of a cold front movving through then back to a warmer E to SE wind and a warm up.

Will this help stop turtle stun?

:usaflag

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
<P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt">Both you and your dad deserve a lot of credit and thanks. Appreciate all that you do.:bowdown:bowdown

·
Registered
119 Posts
MGuns (1/14/2010)<P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt">Both you and your dad deserve a lot of credit and thanks. Appreciate all that you do.:bowdown:bowdown

Agree, you guys are awesome!! Very admirable thing to do. :clap

·
Registered
481 Posts
I think its cool what you are doing but I was always told to callFWC if you find a turtle in distress due to the fact that these are protected species and that just picking them up was illegal? Just what an officer told me a few yrs ago.

Like I said I think its cool what you are doing!

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
i believe it is a felony to "harass" an endangered species which they are but first my dad is the marine biologist for gulf isalnds so this is his job and second it is a matter of life and death so if you find one and bring it inside to warm it up i HIGHLY doubt you could get in trouble as long as you notified someone like my dad or fwc

·
Registered
4,632 Posts
yakfish (1/14/2010)
MGuns (1/14/2010)<P style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt" class=MsoNormal>Both you and your dad deserve a lot of credit and thanks. Appreciate all that you do.:bowdown:bowdown
Agree, you guys are awesome!! Very admirable thing to do. :clap
<P style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt" class=MsoNormal>+1 :bowdown:bowdown

·
Registered
481 Posts
Hey I was wondering how big those turtles are, size of a dinner plate or bigger?Hard to tell without anything to compare.

Just realized those are barnacles so smaller than a dinner plate?

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
they are from dinner plate to the size of a pickup tire. the one i took down with my mom was one of the larger ones and the shell was 60cm long and 46cm wide probably around 70lbs but that was one of the biggest if not the biggest one.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts