Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well today was the worst day of it 10 turtles were found here locally eight being on perdido key and two at santa rosa. Out of the ten found only two are alive and only one will probably survive. My dadis incharge of all the animal stuff at gulf islands and he needed help filing reports for the turtles so my mom and i went and helped. If you live on the water 99% of these turtles are green sea turtles (Chelonia mydas) and they live inshore mostlyin the grass bedsso check your back yards they are just washing up onshore and they are alive then dry out and die from the cold. If you find a turtle bring it inside and place WARM wet towels on it and call well my dad lol his work cell is (850) 232 3619. Here are some pics of the turtles.

This is the largest one and the one that is most probable to survive.

while switching towels

Pulling the smaller live one that was BARELY alive out of the container onto a foam mat.

unfortuntely four of the ones that did'nt make it.

The little one before it was damp from the towels

and after it was damp...i think this is one of the most beautiful thing ive ever seen.

If you see some crazy guy flying around the icw anywhere from eglin to perdido key in a 20' grady whitethat will be my dad he is going out tomm morning at first light to literally go "all over creation" to look for anymore washed up before they die.

OH I FORGOT WE ARE TAKING BOTH TURTLES PRESUMING THEY ARE BOTH STILL ALIVE IN THE MORNING TO GULF ARIUM RIGHTNOW THEY ARE IN MY DADS OFFICE WITH THE HEATER SET ON 80

·
Registered
937 Posts
That is a good effort!

Are you allowed to consume the ones which don't survive?

Are you evil if you have one in your possession?

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
no you are not allowed to eat them period and if it wasnt a life or death matter you would not be allowed to touch them at all but since it is im shure it would be ok or if you dont feel comfortable moving the turtle you can just call my dad or FWC who will probably just call him anyways.

·
Neptune calls me "Daddy"
9,134 Posts
Good on you guys...

Jim

PS... You can eat them in the bahamas as soup or fritters... taste like conch, kinda tough but very good!

·
Registered
3,384 Posts
Sad story that's for sure. I wonder why the turtles just don't go out to deeper and warmer water instead of coming to the shallows and onto land into the cold!? Has this story reached the local media? It would be good I think to have more people know what's happening to them so more people could keep an eye out for them. Until talking to you I had no idea the problem was local and I live in a water front neighborhood with access to the sound. I'll keep my eyes open now that I know and let others know what to be looking for. Between the tropical systems, the cold, and just natural predators these turtles have it rough that's for sure.

What you and your family are doing to help save them is awesome. I know it's sad losing some but the ones you save should help ease the sting.

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
the reason it is mostly greens is because the live inshore feeding on the sea grasses and they dont know any better they arent like logger heads or kemps ridleys that just wander the gulf eating pretty much whatever they find, and thats a sad story too, those species washing up year round with baloons and trash bags stuck down their throats. but no it hsent reached local media but if you google panama city turtle cold stunn they have a great clip on it and where my dad took a few turtles early this morning.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Unfortunatly we are having the same issues down here on the Texas coast.

One of the cool things I like about gulf kayaking is seeing the turtles. Lots of greenies and a huge leatherback off Gulf Shores summer of 07.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts