Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
IS there anything I can put out to attract turkey, Hope everyone had a great deer season!

any tips on turkey... thanks in advance

WHO DAT

·
Registered
3,149 Posts
i hear ya! 'bout that time to start getting your game plan together. you looking to plant something to attract them or just throw out? they love that corn! i know chufas are popular to plant but that would need to be a spring/summer project for the following season.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Do you have turkeys on your place? If not its gonna be hard to get them coming this close to the season. You can feed turkeys just not during the season and you must have all the feed up 10 days prior to the season opener.

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Grassflatsfisher (2/5/2010)Baiting turkeys is illegal in AL and FL.
you can actually feed turkeys in florida throughout the whole season AS LONG AS IT IS A YEAR ROUND BAIT STATION. But yes, in alabama it must be gone 10 days prior to the season opening.

·
Auburn Grad - 1999
3,548 Posts
What's the point of baiting one up reguardless of legality. The whole point of hunting them is to match wits. Calling them in is the whole fun of it!

If this is your first year going the best thing to do is tag along with someone. Watch and learn. I've got a few people lined up for the first few weekends. If it pans out maybe I can come/you come and work one with you one morn. I learn new stuff all the time. Everyone has their own techniques and styles of hunting.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Grassflatsfisher (2/5/2010)What's the point of baiting one up reguardless of legality. The whole point of hunting them is to match wits. Calling them in is the whole fun of it
Exactly...Who the hell wants to 'bait' a gobbler up...Where the fun or challenge there? I feel the same way about deer. You FL boys have it easy, just sit around your feeders and pick 'em off...like shooting fish in a barrel. Go out in the woods with a climber or lock-on and bring one back the natural waylike an indian would do it.

You could put some corn or sunflower seeds out for a couple weeks to try and attract a few birds to an area. But, make sure its gone 10 days before the season.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Florida feeding game regulations:page 13.

Resident game and wild hogs may be hunted in proximity of year-round game -feeding stations on private lands, provided the feeding station has been maintained with feed for at least six months prior to taking resident game.

Wild turkey may not be taken if the hunter is less than 100 yards from a game feeding station when feed is present.

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
[email protected] (2/5/2010)IS there anything I can put out to attract turkey, Hope everyone had a great deer season!

any tips on turkey... thanks in advance

WHO DAT
Follow Gary. Find out where he's hunting the first few days and set up before him after. It's the same crap he did to me in deer season. The only difference is he knows his stuff with turkey. Hunt the doe patch. I have seen quite a few there a couple times. P.S. I hate you college team.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Wheat..........they kill it. I usually feed tons of it to them right up until season starts...........then for some reason they still disappear!haha

Seriously, wheat is good because the deer have a harder time getting it up and the turkeys will scratch forever on it looking for more.

·
Registered
42 Posts
All I know is that they love hay. I hunted on private farmland in Alabamathis past season and when the farmer went to put out hay for the cows the turkeys would be all over it. They would be out there scratching for hours in the middle of the fields, did not care one bit. They would come out of the woodworkfor that hay. Too bad my membership didn't include turkeys, because I saw more of them then I did deer:banghead

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Grassflatsfisher (2/5/2010)What's the point of baiting one up reguardless of legality. The whole point of hunting them is to match wits. Calling them in is the whole fun of it!

If this is your first year going the best thing to do is tag along with someone. Watch and learn. I've got a few people lined up for the first few weekends. If it pans out maybe I can come/you come and work one with you one morn. I learn new stuff all the time. Everyone has their own techniques and styles of hunting.
I totally agree with you on this subject. Because we have corn out year round for the deer in florida, we asked a FWC last year about the situation if we had a bird blowin up near a feeder, can we go get him or do we have to stay a certian distance away.For this new guy, just wantedhim to know the law before he jumped out and got caught spreading corn.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Caspr21 (2/8/2010)
Grassflatsfisher (2/5/2010)What's the point of baiting one up reguardless of legality. The whole point of hunting them is to match wits. Calling them in is the whole fun of it!

I totally agree with you on this subject. Because we have corn out year round for the deer in florida, we asked a FWC last year about the situation if we had a bird blowin up near a feeder, can we go get him or do we have to stay a certian distance away.For this new guy, just wantedhim to know the law before he jumped out and got caught spreading corn.
I know the regulations.. That was not why I started this thread.

but thanks.... now back to the topic which was STUFF THAT TURKEYS EAT....you Jive turkeys

·
Auburn Grad - 1999
3,548 Posts
Not to keep beating a dead horse but maybe your wording in the 1st post threw me and others off. It says "is there anything I can put out to attract turkeys?". Maybe you should have added "to keep them on my property until turkey season comes in".

Turkeys tend to roam regardless of corn or not. I'll have turkeys at my feeders here in FL one week and they won't show back up for 3 weeks. Same goes for my place in AL. They may be in one bottom this weekend and be 2 miles down the road next. They like different cover/food at different times. Not sure what drives them to be like that but that's how it seems to be.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Chuffas planted in the summer (July) you will have turkeys in the spring. Clover in the winter and they also love chickory.All of these are very expensive to plant so ground prep,lime,fert are very important and a soil sample is a must for best yield on your plants.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts