Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is the turkey hunting better on the east or west side of the ranges, I.e. ranger camp side or up on the hwy 87 side? Just got back into town and am wondering where the best area is to start scouting. Any help is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I am not sure about the area around ranger camp, but I hunted the area on the east side of HWY 87 last year. There are a lot of turkeys there, but they were all in the closed section. I heard them every morning I went, but couldn't get them to leave the closed section. They do come out though, turkey tracks were all over the roads.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I was scouting east of 87 a couple months back and kicked up a nice gobbler. There were tons of tracks where I was. Looked promising.

·
Registered
870 Posts
Turkeys are everywhere, you just gotta put the boots on the ground, find the sign, spend some mornings listening, and get as far away from others as possible. I have seen and killed them from the archery area by the ranger camp all the way out towards the old area 11 by freeport.

I scouted 4 different areas yesterday and we killed them in 3 of them last year, only saw sign in 2 this year. They move and different areas have pressure every year, you really just gotta burn some boot rubber on eglin especially first thing in the morning listening.

I know that is just a generic and unhelpful answer, but honestly no one is going to give you a hot spot and there are a decent bit of turkeys in every area.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Turkeys are everywhere, you just gotta put the boots on the ground, find the sign, spend some mornings listening, and get as far away from others as possible. I have seen and killed them from the archery area by the ranger camp all the way out towards the old area 11 by freeport.

I scouted 4 different areas yesterday and we killed them in 3 of them last year, only saw sign in 2 this year. They move and different areas have pressure every year, you really just gotta burn some boot rubber on eglin especially first thing in the morning listening.

I know that is just a generic and unhelpful answer, but honestly no one is going to give you a hot spot and there are a decent bit of turkeys in every area.
+1 get out early an walk,if your anywhere where jus any body can hear, you will not be the only one on the bird.We hunted this weekend on the youth hunt an it was crazy how many people were out there,it should be a busy opening weekend.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I know you have to get out and scout and I'm not asking for someones hotspot. I just got back into town and was looking for where people have seen them for a starting point. I put in 60 hour weeks, don't exactly have time to move all over the range.

·
Registered
870 Posts
I know you have to get out and scout and I'm not asking for someones hotspot. I just got back into town and was looking for where people have seen them for a starting point. I put in 60 hour weeks, don't exactly have time to move all over the range.
Like I said man, they are everywhere and in all the areas. I'm not and I doubt anyone will tell you specifically where they have seen or heard a bird. I hunt 4 different areas and usually hunt about 20 days of the season, I see them everywhere.

You can't expect success the first weekend, just gotta hunt and adjust to where you hear them. I would hunt close to your house or work, these public land birds it's usually better to get more short hunts in than fewer long hunts.

·
Registered
870 Posts
I'll give you one tip: I prefer the areas with Mature trees but the under growth is thin so you can see 75 plus yards. If you can find some areas like this along a creek or creek head, chances are there will be turkeys.

Turkeys best asset is their eye sight and although I have seen them (and thick even) in the insanely thick 5 year old pines where you can barely walk through, chances are they prefer the areas where they can see. So stay away from the bogs, marsh, and swamp lands and also obviously the real real open areas.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts