Pensacola Fishing Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good morning. I just recently moved here from Ohio and am all set up for turkey season in a few weeks. Only thing is this is a different style of hunt. From the environment to weather and everything in between. I’ve spent the last few days trying to wrap my head around the area. I’ve been in the woods since 4:30 this morning and haven’t heard or seen a single sign of turkey. Any tips or pointers on how to hunt this area would be greatly appreciated. I know no one wants to give out their secret spot. Please understand that’s not what I’m asking for. I’m just lost in these woods. Back home turkey like thick woods on the edge of fields and I’m having a hard time finding that type of environment here. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
7,322 Posts
Look at maps. Right now you need to walk every road you can looking for turkey tracks. You are embarking on the hardest birds in the country to hunt. Any bird in Mississippi, Alabama Florida are the toughest. Most people give up on them. They are not heavy gobbling birds. Most mornings you are lucky to hear 2 or 3 different birds. They may only gobble a handful of times on the roost. Eglin has a better population of turkeys then blackwater.

Prostaff member for Old Crow Custom Calls.

·
Registered
7,322 Posts
Also. We got these things called snakes down here. Wear your snake boots. Don't forget your 2 thermacells. Rattlesnakes on dry ground. Cottonmouths pretty much any where a turkey lives,

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Look at maps. Right now you need to walk every road you can looking for turkey tracks. You are embarking on the hardest birds in the country to hunt. Any bird in Mississippi, Alabama Florida are the toughest. Most people give up on them. They are not heavy gobbling birds. Most mornings you are lucky to hear 2 or 3 different birds. They may only gobble a handful of times on the roost. Eglin has a better population of turkeys then blackwater.

Thank you for the advice. I appreciate it!!!

·
US ARMY 2d ID VETERAN
3,610 Posts
You might should invest in a good pair of bite-proof knee high snake boots. Cottonmouths and Copperheads don't make no noise when they hit you, a rattlesnake "might" rattle, but it's not written in stone that it will before it hits you.
Keep the wife happy and the kids a dad, get a pair and wear them in the woods.

As for the turkeys here, find a creek bottom and set-up on the hill. Call 'em up to you.
You may also check out Eglin AFB. Lots of turkeys there.
g/l

·
Registered
176 Posts
Turkeys around here are a challenge for a number of reasons. One main factor being the crazy amount of pressure turkeys get in bw. Seems like last season COVID had every hunter in the woods 7 days a week, Atleast from what I saw.

·
DROP TINE BUCK
6,393 Posts
Need to get up with JohnB, he is our resident “SME” concerning Blackwater turkey’s! That dude knows BW and has them birds eatin out of his hands!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,322 Posts
More hunters than turkeys on Eglin! Very frustrating last year.
Hopefully most have gone back to work. Blackwater was terrible last season. Tons of trucks parking everywhere. Few times ended up walking back in the morning and had a truck parked right next to me.

·
Registered
612 Posts
This is a good place to Bulletize some turkey hunting etiquette:

#1 Do not park/hunt within a half mile of another vehicle. If someone is there before you then move on to another spot.

If we comply with #1 do we really need any more?

·
Registered
7,322 Posts
This is a good place to Bulletize some turkey hunting etiquette:

#1 Do not park/hunt within a half mile of another vehicle. If someone is there before you then move on to another spot.

If we comply with #1 do we really need any more?
#2. Property lines only matter during deer season

1 - 14 of 14 Posts