Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
SaltWaterDave
1,847 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is hunting over planted Chufa grass considered baiting turkey in Florida?

I looked at the myfwc.com and it is clear that baiting turkey is illegal, but all examples I have found refer hunting overcorn and within 100yds of a feeder. If anyone can show me some reference material I'd greatly appreciate it.

·
Registered
4,230 Posts
From what ive been told, Chufa, is not a native plant, This sedge comes from Asia Minor, which in any form is considered baiting,, especially since it is known as turkey gold... I wouldnt take my chances hunting over it,,, as long as you are 100 yards from it you are ok,,,

:usaflag

·
Registered
870 Posts
Not going to look up Alabama but pretty sure its the same, but in Florida and every other state i have hunted you can hunt anything in a planted/agricultural field. Just not over tossed out bait. IE you can hunt an unpicked corn field, just not over a game feeder with corn. It has nothing to do with native or not, and i have no idea of where that idea came from. As long as its agricultural you can hunt it.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Good luck getting out of explaining why there is feed in the gizzard. If the game warden has it left to his interpretation, it could get ugly for you. Basically it's becoming a "ticket first and let the judge sort it out" sort of world...:banghead

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
Planting a food plot is not considered baiting. Were does it say that a food plots has to be "natural?" As far as I know, none of the things we plant in our food plots could possibly be considered natural forage. I'm sorry but oats, peas, soybeans, wheat,millot, sunflowers, standing corn, and chufas can't be found growing natural in this area. What about that genetically engineered crap from biologic? I know that ain't natural.

I have always, and will continue, to plant chufas on any of my leases that hold turkeys.

·
SaltWaterDave
1,847 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I saw THE MAN filling up at the Tiger Point Walmart and decided to ask him. He said that if the Chufa is planted as an AGRICULTURAL CROP it is ok to hunt Turkey over it. If it is planted in a food plot as BAIT it is illegal to hunt Turkey within 100 yards of that plot or bait.

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
That is news to me. I thought if it were a planted plot you could hunt over it. What if you planted clover for turkeys, does this mean you can't hunt over it either? I assume this only applies to turkeys and not deer. If that's the case, we're all breaking the law.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
HEY GUYS -

I just called the state and I am awaiting a return call from a biologist to answer this question for us - I sure would hate to see someone get fined orlose there gun, rights to hunt in FL, etc over wrong info. :nonono

However, for what it is worth - I have always understood that it was ok to hunt something along these lines as long as there was annual growth and not just seasonal -as this would make it "baiting" - however, continual year around planting is not considered "baiting" - hope to have an answer today.....but it is 16:20 their time so who knows! :banghead

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Oh and by the way - if you would like I could put up the guys name and number that I call in Tallahassee, he is actually in in management at Licensing and Permitting...he was out today, but I spoke with a woman there in the office, which is who provided me with the biologist's number....I would not think this would be a problem as it is what he does for a living....

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
OK, I just got a call from Paul - a state biologist - as mentioned in here already - since it is a planted plot - it is ABSOLUTELY LEGAL!!!!! :clap So hunt away and enjoy!!!! He evensaid a co-ordinator with the State of Florida Turkey program and has used it in his plots!

·
SaltWaterDave
1,847 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Good job 7mm, I did the samething the other day. I took advantage of the "askmyfwc.com" link and asked them here is the responce I got back this morning...

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=2 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=text bgColor=#c6d3ba>Response (HGM-TY)</TD><TD class=text align=right bgColor=#c6d3ba></TD></TR><TR><TD class=text colSpan=2>Hunting turkeys over a planted <SPAN class=yshortcuts id=lw_1229374040_2 style="BACKGROUND: none transparent scroll repeat 0% 0%; CURSOR: hand; BORDER-BOTTOM: #0066cc 1px dashed">food plot is just fine, no matter what you have planted. What would be considered "baited" is if you threw corn, soybeans or chufa on the ground. In other words, if it is planted, then it is NOT baiting. If you scatter seed on top of the ground, then it IS baiting.</TD></TR><TR><TD class=text bgColor=#a0c4de>Customer (David)</TD><TD class=text align=right bgColor=#a0c4de></TD></TR><TR><TD class=text colSpan=2>I have looked through all the reference material I can find and I have yet to determine if it is considered baiting to hunt turkey over a food plot that has Chufa grass that is intended to attract turkey. Can I please get a definative answer? I'd hate to have to pay a big fine, lose my guns and or lose my hunting opportunities because the answer that I'm looking for has not been published or is open to interpretation of a judge. Thank you kindly, David</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

1 - 15 of 15 Posts