Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you ever catch any blackfin tuna jigging during day light or is it just at night I would love to make a run out to deep water rigs but I feel safer in day light. Is this a good time of year to go out there

·
Registered
393 Posts
Live bait works better during the day in my experience. Jigging early in the morning or late in the evening might work, but I'd be surprised if it produced much in the middle of the day.

·
Premium Member
9,261 Posts
I've caught them in the daytime but the thing is, the rigs are a good run and eat up a lot of time. Just about have too spend some dark time on the water to make the trip worth going. Especially as the daylight gets less and less.

·
Registered
690 Posts
We usually anchor on a spot. Start chumming. Wait bout fifteen minutes. Bonita start showing up. We've caught tuna in the mix. You'll see them mixed together. And yes, we've jigged them up. @ the edge.

4,058 Posts
Do you ever catch any blackfin tuna jigging during day light or is it just at night I would love to make a run out to deep water rigs but I feel safer in day light. Is this a good time of year to go out there
It is a rare thing for us to catch blackfin livebaiting during the day. Easy easy easy at night. I think the marlin push them down during the day, seeing as how on most days a live blackfin doesnt last long (minutes often) before a blue crawls all over it. Certain areas hold lots of blackfin certain times of year. The yellowfin during the day are a piece of cake though.

4,058 Posts
We don't anchor in the >2000' of water that the deepwater rigs are in. No such thing as a magical chum mix. We just start cutting up blackfin or cuda or whatever we have

1 - 10 of 10 Posts