Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Terrible Fisherman
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys it is now o-fish-al im obsessed with catching a tuna from my kayak. Ive never caught a tuna and I have no idea how to catch a tuna. But I really want to try to target them over the next few weeks or however long they are here for. Ive been trolling for kings and done well targeting them. I have two bigger reels and medium action rods. One reel is packed with braid and the other has 30lb mono.
My kayak is trolling motor powered so I can get off shore pretty far with relative ease. I can also move at a pretty good clip if i see fish like bobos busting up nearby. From what ive read it seems like pretty much any live bait works. I think the bait needs to be a bigger bait than say a cigar minnow? What about how deep the bait needs to be and what kind of leader should I use? Or what kind and size hooks do I need to buy? Should I troll for them or sight cast into busting up baits? Should I stay over structure and live bottom or does it matter? Mornings, evenings, all day?

Any advice I can get to help me catch my dream fish would be greatly appreciated. :thumbup:

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
They travel very fast and can be leader shy in clear water...30 lb mono should work....
Even in any boat that there is IMO a tuna encounter off the beach is going to be rare......Good Luck

·
Registered
5,602 Posts
Blackfin off the beach this time of year isnt exactly rare, if you know where to look. Not common but there is a reason why yakkers have been catching them on a weekly basis for the last month or so.

Disco, you dont have to go as far as you think, I threw on some last year busting bait in less than 10ft of water. Follow the bait, drag the bait and hope they are there when you are there. Always have a jigging rod ready to sling at busting tuna or drop down if you see them on your graph.

·
Terrible Fisherman
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Blackfin off the beach this time of year isnt exactly rare, if you know where to look. Not common but there is a reason why yakkers have been catching them on a weekly basis for the last month or so.

Disco, you dont have to go as far as you think, I threw on some last year busting bait in less than 10ft of water. Follow the bait, drag the bait and hope they are there when you are there. Always have a jigging rod ready to sling at busting tuna or drop down if you see them on your graph.

Ok got it but will I be able to tell the difference between busting tuna and bobos? Ive been catching cigs, hard tails and some other lookdown kind of fish on my sabikis. What is the best bait? Live or frozen? Will they hit cut up bobo? Ive got that too as well as frozen cigs and hard tails. Does the bait need to be mid water column?

And did you sell both carts last weekend? Im still interested.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
One thing you could throw is an all white cobia lure with mylar induced....worked at warp speed across the top in a school of biters.......excuse me for being out of the loop of the yakker's

·
Terrible Fisherman
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
One thing you could throw is an all white cobia lure with mylar induced....worked at warp speed across the top in a school of biters.......excuse me for being out of the loop of the yakker's
Hey brother any and all advice I get on here gets read and re read then logged into the memory banks so thank you for the info either way!!!!

·
Registered
5,602 Posts
Youll be able to tell the difference. Bobos are MUCH smaller and typically purpose just showing their backs when they come out. When BFT are crashing bait they often shoot straight up in the air, the BFT are also more squat and "fat" kind of like a football as their nickname hints at. Bobos are more elongate and slender.

If you are close enough, and Ive had them jump straight out of the water within feet of my kayak you can clearly see their gold lateral stripe.

Ive caught em up top and down deep.

Like fairpoint said, any jig you toss need to be burned across the top, I like to literally burn them in so fast the jigs are just skipping along the surface.

People catch them on frozen cigs and dusters but I pull nothing but live cigs if I have a choice.

By their nature, they will either be there or they wont, and if they are there they wont be there for long. Im going out tomorrow specifically to target them. Will I catch one? Probably not, but IF they are there I will be ready.

·
Terrible Fisherman
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Youll be able to tell the difference. Bobos are MUCH smaller and typically purpose just showing their backs when they come out. When BFT are crashing bait they often shoot straight up in the air, the BFT are also more squat and "fat" kind of like a football as their nickname hints at. Bobos are more elongate and slender.

If you are close enough, and Ive had them jump straight out of the water within feet of my kayak you can clearly see their gold lateral stripe.

Ive caught em up top and down deep.

Like fairpoint said, any jig you toss need to be burned across the top, I like to literally burn them in so fast the jigs are just skipping along the surface.

People catch them on frozen cigs and dusters but I pyuull nothing but live cigs if I have a choice.

By their nature, they will either be there or they wont, and if they are there they wont be there for long. Im going out tomorrow specifically to target them. Will I catch one? Probably not, but IF they are there I will be ready.

Well good luck brother I hope you get a big one!!!! Thanks for the advice!

·
Neptune calls me "Daddy"
9,136 Posts
I've been YFT fishing a few times. One of the best patterns were SMALL (5") Blue Runners hooked through the lips very slow trolled behind the boat. Just in and out of gear so the baits would follow the boat but not really be pulled along.

The Captains would stop the boat as we drove over a ball of tuna 200' below and allow the baits to "scatter".

So I would thing small live baits just following the yak would work.

Jim

·
Blue man fishing Inc.
1,418 Posts
I don't fish from a yak, but I'd assume it's just like anything else. Nothing trumps time on the water. If you're out there enough eventually you're gonna run across them, and then it's on like Sue Straughn. Just be prepared for the moment.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts