Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
I have been saying it all a long. You DON'T need all that high dollar crap. Keeping up with the Jones is hard work, but someone who knows how to fish can get done with out a thousand dollar reel.

·
Registered
376 Posts
joe(Team Miss Emily) (10/6/2009)that is bad a$$, i bet that takes alot of muscle

Nah. I didn't watch the whole video, but none of those tuna looked over 40 pounds or so. You get a lot of leverage with those big long bamboo rods.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Watch the last half Hateraid its cool sharks and some STUD TUNA and think how long they do it some at the end are three pollers . I like the shot they have of the vintage gut bucket and Jig GOOD VIDEO Shame its commercial.

imo.:clap

·
Registered
159 Posts
Nice, there are still a couple of old school boats like this out in the pacific. If you get a chance see if you can catch "Wild Pacific" on Discovery. Was only like a 4 episode special but one of them shows some pacific islanders doing the same style of tuna fishing all in HD, one of the coolest shots i've ever seen. Thanks for posting this one, its wild to see what the populations used to be. Shame how devastated they've become, yellowfin really needs to be protected from the commercial harvest but I'll miss some good sushi :)

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Must be a barbless hook with some kinda fly on it. As soon as the fish comes over its off the hook! Someone had it figured out.:bowdown But that is whats left of them now. Nothin like that.

·
Registered
838 Posts
It is a cool video. I notice some of you note how neat that type of fishing is but also show regret about the fishery today. I think the video is neat, but it is also the reason we don't have that kind of fishery today.

No wonder we're having the red snapper, grouper regs applied by the government today. Look at what they have to go on. Sorry, but this type of fishing is where the tuna in a can bought at Publix or Walmart comes from. It's all good until you get to that point in your life where you can afford to buy a boat and with family/friends/good water/right tackle/and good luck hook up to a 100# yellowfin tuna. Then...this video and what it represents...equals rape of nature.

Not trying to derail. Topic is video of commercial tuna fishing. My $0.02 is it is a cool video on the surface, not so cool once you apply rational thought. :usaflag

·
Registered
490 Posts
King Crab (10/7/2009)Must be a barbless hook with some kinda fly on it. As soon as the fish comes over its off the hook! Someone had it figured out.:bowdown But that is whats left of them now. Nothin like that.

At 9:36 you can see the jig looks like lead head feather jig with a stub/stud of of a barb-less almost strait hook.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts