Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

21 - 40 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
My two cents, I am 49, 5'6" and 165lbs and not in shape. I have a 2015 Hobie PA14 I purchased 9/14 I truly enjoy. Is it heavy? Yes, loaded out mine is probably 185lbs. Is it a pain to load and unload? Yes. Is it a pain to take up and down the beach? Yes. does it fish well? Yes. Does it track well? Yes, better then any other kayak I have used, especially with the additional 2 ft of length and the new skeg. Is it comfortable? Yes, I have spent 10 hours in her, non stop peddling basically without issue. The great thing is you have the ability to adjust your seating position allowing you to target different muscle groups when your legs get tired. Is the peddle motion good? Yes, supposedly more comfortable than bicycling for it is a more natural stride comparable to walking. Is it stable? Yes, very very stable. Does it have storage? Yes, more than most. Is it meant for big surf? Heck no! It is a yacht! Is it some of the most fun I have ever had fishing? Hell Yes! Would I would recommend the Hobie PA14 to anyone who wanted to fish the Gulf of Mexico for all species within reach of Kayak fishing and is not afraid about a 5 minute pull from the beach to the truck? Hell Yes, fantastic fishing machine! As for the propel if you are fishing docks and stuff inshore and need a reverse the propel has that ability, I personally just grab my hand paddle for reverse. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
453 Posts
My two cents, I am 49, 5'6" and 165lbs and not in shape. I have a 2015 Hobie PA14 I purchased 9/14 I truly enjoy. Is it heavy? Yes, loaded out mine is probably 185lbs. Is it a pain to load and unload? Yes. Is it a pain to take up and down the beach? Yes. does it fish well? Yes. Does it track well? Yes, better then any other kayak I have used, especially with the additional 2 ft of length and the new skeg. Is it comfortable? Yes, I have spent 10 hours in her, non stop peddling basically without issue. The great thing is you have the ability to adjust your seating position allowing you to target different muscle groups when your legs get tired. Is the peddle motion good? Yes, supposedly more comfortable than bicycling for it is a more natural stride comparable to walking. Is it stable? Yes, very very stable. Does it have storage? Yes, more than most. Is it meant for big surf? Heck no! It is a yacht! Is it some of the most fun I have ever had fishing? Hell Yes! Would I would recommend the Hobie PA14 to anyone who wanted to fish the Gulf of Mexico for all species within reach of Kayak fishing and is not afraid about a 5 minute pull from the beach to the truck? Hell Yes, fantastic fishing machine! As for the propel if you are fishing docks and stuff inshore and need a reverse the propel has that ability, I personally just grab my hand paddle for reverse. Hope this helps.
Your PA is the most well put together yak I've ever seen. I would own 1 again if it came just like it lol

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
57 Posts
Reverse is overrated IMO and if need be in a hobie you can turn the peddles around and reverse no problem. 2015-2016 outback all the way.

·
Registered
2,811 Posts
How do hobie guys handle strong winds + current?
Throw in a strong fighting fish into the equation also.

I'm open minded, but how does one handle such a situation?

·
Registered
94 Posts
I fish from a Hobie Adventure or OK Scupper Pro. In strong wind and current the Hobie is great because you don't lose ground every time you need your hands to do something. That benefit is huge when fishing. If the surf is rough and I just want to troll or play, then I 'll paddle. But, I don't see that it would be any different in a Hobie vs a Native. Stability in rough water comes from a paddle.

·
Registered
57 Posts
How do hobie guys handle strong winds + current?
Throw in a strong fighting fish into the equation also.

I'm open minded, but how does one handle such a situation?
The rudder is your friend. The very first time I took my outback out on the water I went with a buddy who had a paddle yak. It was a very windy day and he struggled fighting the wind while I fished and made small adjustments with peddles and rudder to stay on course and fish twice as much as he did. I knew from watching him struggle I wanted no part in that. To each his own whether paddle or peddle as long as your doing what you love and having fun.

·
Registered
2,811 Posts
I have fished conditions at 3 mile before that there is no way in hell a paddle kayak could ever fish it.
barton, that's what I mean.

I like to fish upper yellow river where u might encounter a swift 3-5 mph current...no way a paddle can keep you controlled enough to fish.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Are the weight limits spot on? I've been looking at getting rid of the wave runner for me and the gf 2 kayaks. I'm 320lbs and the Native from what I've seen holds up to 450 while the PA14 holds 600. Are these numbers accurate? Also is the adjustable seat on the PA comfortable for those of us that are "big boned"?

·
Registered
42 Posts
I sold a wilderness thresher and switched to hobie pa14s. I'm on my second one. I've got the 2015 pa14 and it's a beast. Absolutely 100% stand by hobos being the best bet. They are awesome. Fast enough and comfortable all day. And very dry. Being dry is my favorite part. I can stand in mine all day and I'm 6'3 215. Also the storage is great plenty of places to hide things and the in floor tackle boxes are nice. I've put in a lot of miles on my new one already and never feel tired. Plus it's great in current and wind..... Slayers looks cool but I think it's a fad that'll fade away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
201 Posts
If you invest in either a trailer or a legit roof rack system (if needed) the Hobie PA 14 in terms of being heavy will be a lot less of a worry. The Native Propel would be at the top of my list if I were inland and the majority of my fishing was for Bass. Otherwise the Hobie PA outshines anything on the market today. The ability to stand and sit with comfort is so overlooked by new comers. Being able to stretch the legs without worry of tipping your Yak is priceless.

·
Registered
2,811 Posts
"Slayers looks cool but I think it's a fad that'll fade away".

Yeah, I remember people said that about computers and all sorts of other innovations.

You can stand in a native also, they have vantage type seating, under seat storage, you stay dry and you have better boat control. Hobies are great, but when fighting fish and current at the same time, how do you control something that only goes forward and sideways?

Natives go forward, backward and sideways, in my world boat control is everything.
I'm still leaning towards a native and waiting for some reviews on the new ultimate FX propel.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
"Slayers looks cool but I think it's a fad that'll fade away".

Yeah, I remember people said that about computers and all sorts of other innovations.

You can stand in a native also, they have vantage type seating, under seat storage, you stay dry and you have better boat control. Hobies are great, but when fighting fish and current at the same time, how do you control something that only goes forward and sideways?

Natives go forward, backward and sideways, in my world boat control is everything.
I'm still leaning towards a native and waiting for some reviews on the new ultimate FX propel.

Agree, Slayers are not going anywhere. This is nothing more than a Ford/Chevy debate. Slayers (Native) and Hobies are here to stay and they are only going to bet better and better.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I had an old outback and got the PA14. It was too heavy IMO and was difficult to manage a big fish while pushing the pedals and staying lined up with the fish.

I sold it last year and got a Native Propel 13 and absolutely love it. Standing up isn't as easy as the hobie but it's still easy. (Jackson's stand up bar is a direct fit into the native if you want 1). The best feature is the reverse. I've used it to to horse bull reds off the pilings at 3mb many times and the PA would never allow that. Like Nlytme says, the rudder box leaking is a pain as well as the front scuppers (even on the 13) but it's a great trade off just to have reverse.

I upgraded my rudder cable and went with the boondox rudder and it turns on a dime now. Not much for storage but it fits a large plano box under the seat and there's plenty of room behind the seat to put another box or cooler. I can't imagine needing tons of storage space for a 6 hour gulf or bay trip.

Native makes some pretty awesome accessories for them too.

Plus one on the info.

·
2019 Hobie outback
2,675 Posts
"Slayers looks cool but I think it's a fad that'll fade away". Yeah, I remember people said that about computers and all sorts of other innovations. You can stand in a native also, they have vantage type seating, under seat storage, you stay dry and you have better boat control. Hobies are great, but when fighting fish and current at the same time, how do you control something that only goes forward and sideways? Natives go forward, backward and sideways, in my world boat control is everything. I'm still leaning towards a native and waiting for some reviews on the new ultimate FX propel.
Not trying to be a smart ass but how do slayers go sideways?

·
Registered
453 Posts
I can get my slayer to go sideways when I'm at 3-4mph. It's more like power slides lol. Lots of fun when the fish aren't biting

·
Registered
453 Posts
Are the weight limits spot on? I've been looking at getting rid of the wave runner for me and the gf 2 kayaks. I'm 320lbs and the Native from what I've seen holds up to 450 while the PA14 holds 600. Are these numbers accurate? Also is the adjustable seat on the PA comfortable for those of us that are "big boned"?
I'm 315-320 and 6'10. My native holds me comfortably and I can stand and fish just fine when it's glassy. A little chop and it gets interesting cause of the lack of foot space to shuffle and balance.

21 - 40 of 47 Posts