Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
DROP TINE BUCK
5,890 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Decided to sell my 2017 Silverado, had 20,000 miles on it and honestly I scared of the long term reliability of it. Over the past 6 months it has went into a “misfire” for 15-30 seconds and then went back to normal on 4 different occasions. It wasn’t retaining any codes and could not be replicated at the dealer. Needless to say, I started to not trust it. (Wound up selling it back to the dealer so I dont feel bad about screwing anybody)

Anyway, here I am looking for a used replacement. Im leaning toward a Tundra, 2013-2017 ish, not interested in anything GM makes or Ford. Not worried about fuel mileage, (I know Tundras suck)

Anyone have any recommendations as to what year Tundra may be better than others, and maybe what to check or look out for?

Im wanting the 5.7, preferably 4.30 gear ratio, 4wd and crew cab.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
DROP TINE BUCK
5,890 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You wont go wrong with a new tundra with the Cummins

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
“New” anything is out of the question. Maxed out 401k hopefully for remainder of career so I can get the hell outta work, so funding has been cut at the homestead! Lol

·
Registered
6,567 Posts
“New” anything is out of the question. Maxed out 401k hopefully for remainder of career so I can get the hell outta work, so funding has been cut at the homestead! Lol

Dont buy another truck, you got the baddest hunting rig, you dont need anything else. Take that money and stick it in another fund somewhere or put on your house principal

·
Registered
4,326 Posts
You wont go wrong with a new tundra with the Cummins

Toyota offers a Tundra with a Cummins ???
Cant find it on their website.
Nissan has one and Dodge Ram.
I drove a Nissan with a Cummins, it is a smaller engine so the truck is essentially between a half ton and a 3/4 ton truck. I didn’t care for it at all.

·
Registered
6,567 Posts
Toyota offers a Tundra with a Cummins ???
Cant find it on their website.
Nissan has one and Dodge Ram.
I drove a Nissan with a Cummins, it is a smaller engine so the truck is essentially between a half ton and a 3/4 ton truck. I didn’t care for it at all.
Nah, Toyota was supposed to get the Cummins first. Never did. Now supposed to release their own in the fall of 2021.

·
Registered
10,701 Posts
I love, love ,love my 2012 Tundra. Sr5, 4wd, 5.7. 246k miles. Bought it new in 12. I run amsoil in every fluid resivoir, except the brakes, they will be flushed soon. I have had to replace one Trans solenoid last year at $126. And 2 batteries, along with scheduled maintenance. I was getting 16-18 before I tunned it and leveled it with 33x12.5. Now I can get about the same, but with that dirty deeds 6in system, and the D.A.P. tune, I cant keep my foot out of it, lol.

I prefer the 07-13 body style, but the 5.7 is the same in all of them, exceptthe flex fuel. I had issues early on with mine, but once I researched and explained to the dealer what to do, the 3rd time I got a tech to listen to what I had to say, never had a problem again!.

·
Registered
4,326 Posts
After having a diesel for seven months now, I will never have a gas burner again.
F39E5558-9FA6-4859-BDF2-D5D78A6F5DC3.jpeg

·
Registered
10,701 Posts
I bought the extended warranty and the maintenance plan.
even covers wiper blades.
We had to buy the plan to be able to get GAP coverage through FMC. Waste of 2700 imo, I prefer to change my own fluids and use Amsoil at that, but its not my truck, so whatever, lol

·
Registered
730 Posts
Dont buy another truck, you got the baddest hunting rig, you dont need anything else. Take that money and stick it in another fund somewhere or put on your house principal

This... Also don't be scared to look out of the truck scene. lol If you have a hunting rig get yourself a used Kia or Hyundai SUV. This is exactly what I will probably be doing once I sell the boat. I have a toyota t100 to take hunting but just need a good reliable 4 seater for the neices and nephews along with driving to work until the wife is done with nursing school.

·
Registered
252 Posts
I had a 2007 Tundra, 5.7 4x4 with the 4.30 gears. I really liked the truck. I honestly believe it would leave my 19 Hemi in the dust.

But... I replaced the rear end twice after they started making noise. I think it was just wheel bearings - a known issue in the early years of the new design, but no shop would touch it apart from replacing the whole rear end. I finally traded it at 200k+ miles when the transmission started acting up.

The engine was still quiet and as strong as ever and didn't leak or use any oil.

I think they cured the rear wheel bearing issue in later years.

Sent from my SM-G935U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,007 Posts
Never had a Tundra, but have had many Tacomas. Best trucks I have ever owned.
Tried Ford & Chevy. They spent more time in the shop than on the road.
The last Ford I bought was a new Ranger. Two major AC jobs; two major transmission jobs before it was paid for. That did it; never again.

·
Registered
969 Posts
We had to buy the plan to be able to get GAP coverage through FMC. Waste of 2700 imo, I prefer to change my own fluids and use Amsoil at that, but its not my truck, so whatever, lol

I hate to say this but your dealer lied to you. I have been in the Extended Warranty/ Gap Insurance/ Credit Insurance/Pre-Paid Maintenance business for over 40 years. All of those products can be sold individually .

1 - 20 of 68 Posts