Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Apex
1,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was driving back to tallahassee last night and my whole rearend when out on me. My drive shaft broke and Im gonna have to get a whole new back axle. the ring gear and the pinion blew out of my rear differential and the leaking oil caught fire. Scared the hell outta me but the fire went out when it burned all the oil up..could have been bad. Its in the shop right now gettin evaluated..i havent heard back but im just goin along with what I saw. I just hope it doenst cost an arm and a leg to get fixed.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Dang son! AI had one lock up on me onetimeI was drivingdown the road at about 60mph. It locked up the rear end and I was lucky to keep it out the ditch!

·
Registered
6,190 Posts
Very lucky you are. I have a very close friend (in fact I talked to him last night) that when he was in High School he had a 57 Chevy, souped up to the hilt. He was going down a two land highway doing about a 100, stupid as kids do. Well his drive shaft broke at the front universal. When it fell down ithit the seam at a bridge and caught. Where upon the rear of the car left the road (rose up on it's nose) and when he came to rest it was sitting on the rear bumper. The impact had ripped everything from the front of the drive shaft back, off the car. Came to rest about a 100 yards beyond the point of impact.:banghead:banghead:banghead

·
Registered
354 Posts
What kind of truck is it? I just had all my fluids changed including the rear end. When I went to pick it up the tech pulled me aside and showed me pieces of metal that he found on the plug. Clutch springs in my posi-traction had broken. THe truck had 59,000 miles and still under warranty (of course Dodge first attempted to wiggle out of it). They tried to say it happened from me spinning the tires which has never happened.

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
Had a Dodge P/U rear end blow up also and also had a tough time with Chrysler for warrantee. The motor let loose at 72thousand and they would not warrantee it. Put a junk yard motor in it and traded for a F250. Put 232thousand on it troublefree! Now I have an 07 f150 man it rides like a car.:usaflag

·
Registered
6,190 Posts
leeprice72 (11/6/2007)What kind of truck is it? I just had all my fluids changed including the rear end. When I went to pick it up the tech pulled me aside and showed me pieces of metal that he found on the plug. Clutch springs in my posi-traction had broken. THe truck had 59,000 miles and still under warranty (of course Dodge first attempted to wiggle out of it). They tried to say it happened from me spinning the tires which has never happened.
And if it did in fact happen that way SO WHAT.:banghead

·
Registered
4,438 Posts
leeprice72 (11/6/2007)?????? A bit hostile this morning? Mainly just wanting to see if anyone else had experienced the same issue.
I think Tuna Man is trying to say if it did go out cause of you spinning the tires they should still cover it. Same thing happen to me with a new 1997 dodge truck. They tried to say my rear end broke because of me spinning the wheels. Took me a couple of four letter words and telling them if dodge trucks can't handle a tire spin then maybe I need to start telling people about it then I got a new one.

·
Registered
6,190 Posts
Jole.....Exactly...thanks.
If they can't handle the heat stay the F*** out of the kitchen.:Flipbird

If a truck (rearend) can't hold up if the wheels spin, you better never tow a boat larger then a jon boat. I will guarentee at some time, at some ramp the tires WILL spin trying to get the boat out.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Ok I understand now, I just totally misinterputed your answer. Glad to know your not hostile this morning. TO elaborate more on the issue Dodge first told me that your supposed to change your differential fluid every 15,000 miles. I had not so they may not have validated my warranty. BUt if you look in the factory scheduled mainteninance it never says anything about it in the "A" service plan until 60.000 miles. BUt it does say it in the "b" service plan. So I told them it is not mentioned in the A plan and the service managertold me never to go by that plan.BUt at least it enforced my standing. If you went by the B service plan your truck and your bank account would live at dodge.

Sorry for the misunderstanding and you guys have a good day.

·
Registered
6,190 Posts
You got me thinking, so I drug out my "Owners Manual". If I did the maintence as per "A" and "B", and had it done at a dealership, the cost of maintence would FAR exceed the "List Price" of my truck.

Besides under schedule "B" plan..to be done for a number of reasons probably wouldn't apply to you.

Follow "B" if you "USUALLY"

1) Frequent stops, where the engine does not reach 190 deg...

2) Extensive engine idling...No factor here on rear end

3) Driving in dusty coinditions. Well maybe, but the rear end sealed for the most part.

4) Frequent trailer towing. Yes..maybe..but "USUALLY" I doubt it. What 5-7% if that?

5) Taxi, Police, ie commercial service. Don't see it. Not you

6) Off road...4 X 4, Probably desert..not likely

7) Extensive RPM (over 2900) and loads (greater than 70% throttle) sometimes

KEY word..."Usually"..quote from Dodge

Who are they trying to BS

·
Apex
1,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Its a 94 4x4 Toyota P/U. Its in the shop right now getting the entire rearend replaced.

·
Super Moderator
12,717 Posts
spencer, remember that time we drove to milton and you thought you got stuck in that puddle and wanted us to pull you out...

sucks about the truck, come play poker some time with B-rad and i.. "Sticks!, it's your bet!"

1 - 13 of 13 Posts