Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
97 GMC 4wd, while driving the 4wd shifter is jumping into neutral, makes a clunk when it does, and I have to stop the truck to shift it back into 2 high, never had any issues with the transfer case, doesn’t look like it’s leaking to me. A web search says either linkage or the transfer case is shot and needs a rebuild, any other ideas?

·
US ARMY 2d ID VETERAN
2,985 Posts
Check the linkage tab. It's about 3"x1"x1/4". It connects on the shift peg ( for lack of correct name) that comes out of transfer case, and the shift rod connects to it. Anyway, the linkage tab is held on with a nylon threaded nut. It may have backed off, if so, tighten it up, or the square notch in it may have wollowed out?

·
Apex
1,365 Posts
I'd replace the actuator before I took it anywhere. Just saying...

·
Registered
6,556 Posts
Check the linkage tab. It's about 3"x1"x1/4". It connects on the shift peg ( for lack of correct name) that comes out of transfer case, and the shift rod connects to it. Anyway, the linkage tab is held on with a nylon threaded nut. It may have backed off, if so, tighten it up, or the square notch in it may have wollowed out?
If it's the same linkage setup as going to the transmission. The linkage breaks at the plastic. Pull bracket off, grind off the for, then drill out. Should be an 8mm bolt fit through it. A couple flat washers and a lock but will fix it. Did it on 2 different transmissions so far. Super easy. New linkage is cheap but a pain to fish through.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I couldn’t get to it until late this week, but I looked at the linkage and everything looked good to me, bushings were in place and nothing seemed to be binding up, it is a manual shift, so no actuator to change, I should have mentioned that in the original post. So, now it is sitting at Hirst ready to cost me my first born.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts