Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
7,500 Posts
Do not use a one of those probe testers to check wires. Every place you probe the insulation is the spot it will break two years from now. I bought a two year old boat that the previous owner was trouble shooting pumps. 5 breaks in a 6' run! Remove and replace.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Do not use a one of those probe testers to check wires. Every place you probe the insulation is the spot it will break two years from now. I bought a two year old boat that the previous owner was trouble shooting pumps. 5 breaks in a 6' run! Remove and replace.
Which type would you recommend?

·
Registered
7,500 Posts
Depends on the situation. Most times a piece of 12 gauged extension cord will answer most of your questions. After that a Fluke.

·
Registered
3,494 Posts
If you are planning on being a DIY boat owner for any length of time you definitely need to invest in a multi-meter. It doesn't have to be fancy, just has to be able to check continuity/resistance (ohms) and 12V power circuits. Depending on your budget, the ones at Harbor Freight will work just fine for this or if you want to spend your whole stimulus check on a good one, head over to Mayer Electric and get one of the top of the line Fluke meters that comes with your own personal electrician genie.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
If you are planning on being a DIY boat owner for any length of time you definitely need to invest in a multi-meter. It doesn't have to be fancy, just has to be able to check continuity/resistance (ohms) and 12V power circuits. Depending on your budget, the ones at Harbor Freight will work just fine for this or if you want to spend your whole stimulus check on a good one, head over to Mayer Electric and get one of the top of the line Fluke meters that comes with your own personal electrician genie.
I'd rather spend the stimulus on a new rod and reel 🤣. Thanks for the advice I will get one for sure.

·
Jaded Old Phart
6,159 Posts
You don't have to pierce the covering on the wire to use the probe.
Use your head and place the pointy end on metal connector/ends.
If you don't have juice at the end of run of wire replace wire.

Unless you do connections like this:

·
Registered
414 Posts
I'd rather spend the stimulus on a new rod and reel 🤣. Thanks for the advice I will get one for sure.
Rod and reel won’t keep your live well running or or ensure electrical issues won’t stop you from returning home when you decide.

·
Registered
690 Posts
You don't have to pierce the covering on the wire to use the probe.
Use your head and place the pointy end on metal connector/ends.
If you don't have juice at the end of run of wire replace wire.

Unless you do connections like this:

View attachment 1074888
Wow the horror. It's easy to see if he would have placed the connection higher he could have eliminated that twist on joint.
also would be more "per code" with a black to black connection wire job. No good reason for that red wire.

·
Jaded Old Phart
6,159 Posts
Wow the horror. It's easy to see if he would have placed the connection higher he could have eliminated that twist on joint.
also would be more "per code" with a black to black connection wire job. No good reason for that red wire.
Quite true. That person probably used this fuse replacement guide also.

·
Registered
690 Posts
I'd be lying if I said I never wrapped a fuse with a chewing gum wrapper to get the car home back in the 1900's century.

·
Jaded Old Phart
6,159 Posts
Having owned a 77 Triumph Bonneville, after a incident started carrying a little foil packet in my wallet. In hindsight, maybe a bit of wire would have been better than it appearing that there was a chunk of hash stashed in my wallet.
1 wrap was good for a few miles, 2 wraps was about 10 miles, 3 wraps was replace the melted/burnt rectifier.
The gum foil wrap was good enough to start it before it cooked.
At least I didn't need this...

·
Registered
7,500 Posts
If you have this big of problem with a simple 12v pump, I hope your not going out P'cola pass.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Doing things yourself will help you learn your boat. If unsure of some stuff, ask first. Plenty on this forum are willing to help.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Doing things yourself will help you learn your boat. If unsure of some stuff, ask first. Plenty on this forum are willing to help.
Thanks man I appreciate it. Yeah there is alot to learn, but definitely makes you more familiar with the boat.

·
Jaded Old Phart
6,159 Posts
I don't really think a install would keep me from going out.
But now you know about pinch points.

Next fun thing is getting the wiring too tight and tidy leaving yourself not enough wire to do a single splice when you have to replace something on the other end of the wire. :mad:

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #40 (Edited)
But now you know about pinch points.

Next fun thing is getting the wiring too tight and tidy leaving yourself not enough wire to do a single splice when you have to replace something on the other end of the wire. :mad:
Haha, actually I already learned that lesson when I was putting in speaker wire on her. Every other job that I have done now I leave a little slack for just such a joy!

21 - 40 of 41 Posts