Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have been wanting a washdown pump on my boat and finally bought one, ended up getting a Jabsco. So after 2 days of a SUPER FUN install (because of doing 10 other wife projects while trying to do my own project) I finally got everything put back together. Now this is my first boat and first time installing a washdown pump, so this question is probably going to be stupid. But when I turned on power I heard NO humming sound from the pump to give me the warm fuzzy feeling that at least it works. I checked no fuses blown good solid ground,good connection to the switch panel but heard nothing. Is it even supposed to make any kind of sound, what am I missing?

·
Registered
413 Posts
With power to pump on, are you getting voltage at the pump? It should kick on then shut off when pressure builds.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
With power to pump on, are you getting voltage at the pump? It should kick on then shut off when pressure builds.
Im not sure honestly. I have the hot wire running straight to my switch board on my boat,well the in line fuse,then the switch

·
Registered
413 Posts
Check voltage across your connections at the pump. If power is on and no voltage reading, your not wired correctly. What was the switch used for before?

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Check voltage across your connections at the pump. If power is on and no voltage reading, your not wired correctly. What was the switch used for before?
Nothing, it was a accessory switch. I did plug it into a switch I know was powered and never heard anything

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I wonder if I should just wire directly to one of my batteries and put in a new toggle switch?

·
Jaded Old Phart
6,152 Posts
Just see if you have power at the switch. Then see of there's power at the pump.

·
Registered
5,793 Posts
Did you turn the Master ON/OFF switch ON?

·
Registered
4,598 Posts
Always do a check on ohms from lead to lead to be sure you don't have a broken lead on your multimeter.

Reactions: ruger1

·
Registered
3,488 Posts
Did you test the pump for functionality before install? I always test pumps, motors, lights, etc by temporarily connecting them directly to a battery to make sure they actually work, especially if they are bought online. I have a pair of wired battery clips with wire nuts specifically for this purpose.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Did you test the pump for functionality before install? I always test pumps, motors, lights, etc by temporarily connecting them directly to a battery to make sure they actually work, especially if they are bought online. I have a pair of wired battery clips with wire nuts specifically for this purpose.
Unfortunately no, I did not. Still green when it comes to this boat stuff and so far all the other upgrades I have done worked fine

·
Registered
413 Posts
Is the switch you have the pump connected to just for aux or can it operate something else? How many poles on the back of the switch? 2 or 3?

1 - 20 of 41 Posts