Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,857 Posts
that's your bait school/teaser, etc, not rigged (no hooks) although I've heard of people doing it.......think of it this way.....that brings the fish in and you throw a pitch bait to the fish

·
Squid technician
10,484 Posts
I have 2 of them riged with a hook in the last bait. It has worked great on tuna and dolphin. One is made up of green, 6" mold craft squid with a dark colored sevenstrand bullet headed lure in the center. The other one I have is a ballyhoo spreader bar and we alternate pulling it as a teaser and a rigged lure with a hook. I would never think about putting hooks in all the baits unless you are pulling it on a 130. We've watched that thing get demolished 15ft from the back of the boat by tunas and I don't think I'd like reeling in 7 or 8, 50lb YFT's at once on a 50W.

If you talk to a lot of the guys in the NE they almost feel like they are wasting their time if there isn't a couple of rigged spreader bars in the spread.

·
Registered
2,952 Posts
Realtor (3/26/2010)Hummmm, something is not computing. So when a fish slams one of these baits with no hooks, do they just spit it back out? seems to me they would get tore up in to time flat.

Just thinking.
no they dont tear as easy as youd think....

run a islander and ballyhoo off thelongest one and it will get slammed!

great teaser!

·
Registered
6,982 Posts
It's a teaser. No hooks. Think about fighting a fish on that rig. It's made to imitate a school. Then pitch a bait and drop back, mostly used for fin fish, but not always. Try running a rigged bait behind it.

Skip

·
Banned
4,905 Posts
Another option is to connect a baited hook or lure to the end of the dredge with a break away trolling clip. Big fish throw trolled lures and baited hooks by jumping and shaking their heads, imagine what that dredge would be like. What I do is troll either a lure or a daisy chain behind the dredge, the last bait on the daisy chain has hooks. The most productive way I've used the dredges is on a down rigger with birds on the surface and my trolling set up behind that. As mentioned earlier, it's a good idea to have a pitch bait ready to go in case something crashes your teaser set up. Tight lines to you.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
that isnt a dredge it is a spreader bar and it is not intended to be ran off a cleat. They are designed to run off the short riggers for tuna which helps run them high enough to get all the commotion out of them they work great off a sportfisher cause you can get them pinned up high. I use smaller ones (single bird in front) out of my CC boat with success. Yes they do tangle and make a mess but they produce so trade offs

·
Squid technician
10,484 Posts
I don't have much of a problem with them tangling. Then again, I'm not running 40 baits on each one. I generally have about 12-20 baits on a spreader bar and rig them closer to each other to prevent tangles. When I fish them as a teaser I put the spreader in close and have a naked ballyhoo positioned about 8ft behind it. This setup is a killer and yes, the spreader gets annihilated by the school of tunas but holds up time after time.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts