Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, hoping to get some help on trolling for kings :) I've taken out my kayak a couple of times now trolling with dead bait but no luck so far. I am planning on giving live bait a try but I am curious about my trolling speed.

The last few times when I went out, I could spot schools of fish feeding but I had no luck hooking any of them. I am wondering if I should stop trolling at this time and cast at it, or do I just keep paddling and troll through?

Do you guys usually keep two separate rods for this type of situation? One for trolling and one for top lures?

·
Terrible Fisherman
384 Posts
To be totally honest we do just as well trolling a frozen naked CIG on top as we do trolling a live one down deep on a duster. We troll two rods one deep one and one on top and keep another rod ready to cast. Always troll two or more rods at different distances and depths it increases your chances of a hook up tremendously. I really think the key to hooking up kings is different types of presentations. Also find areas with structure and circle them. We started just heading to the same little piece of structure and just doing big circles for hours. It was very productive and we learned a ton. I think speed has less to do with hooking up and presentation and location is key!

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Those fish feeding on the surface are probably Bonito (aka Little Tunney) probably feeding on small stuff. If that's what they are, then your best bet is a 1/4oz bucktail jig on a light tackle rod. Throw in front of them and RIP IT back as fast as possible.

Good luck!
Alex

1 - 4 of 4 Posts