Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am gettin' old and finding it difficult to pole in deep water, so for the first time in my life I am looking at buying a trolling motor. I know most think it a bit light for my boat, I have a Scout 177 flats boat, but am looking at a 55 lb. thrust Riptide. Now my main question is, does anyone have an opinion on Minn Kota's 3X steering? Is this really that much of an advantage? And secondly does anyone have any experience with their compact mounting system? I believe it is their SE model. Is it that much smaller? Anyway, thanks in advance for any help or comments. I sure couldn't get much from their website.

·
Registered
2,844 Posts
I had a MC with the 3X, and didn't like it. My instinct was always to oversteer! Plus they seem to have reliability problems. The lighted indicator arrow stopped turning shortly after buying it. I took it to Hammer's for repair (big mistake!) and it took about 2 months to get it back STILL NOT WORKING! :banghead

I called MC, and they said the part (a gear) was probably the problem, easy to install, and they quickly mailed me THREE of them!

I sold the boat before I did the repair. Overall I think the Riptide is a good motor, but I'd avoid the 3X. I just don't see how it's worth the extra $$$.

Also, unless you are only fishing ponds/lakes, you might want to consider more power! Mine was a 24V 80lb on a 19' skiff, and at peak tidal flow, or into a stiff breeze, I had to use almost full power at times (plus it ran FOREVER). Hope this helps!

·
Registered
5,759 Posts
I have installed a few MK units. I have heard of some trouble with the 3X steering, but the unit's I have installed have not had a problem.

The 3X steering is a feel thing. You will get use to it.

The unit your looking at is pretty small for that boat. I'd opt to the 80lb thrust.

It's like buying a larger outboard. Just because you have that much power, doesn't mean you will use it. Yet if you need it, you have it.

The last install was removing a 80lb MK and installing a 101lb MK. "MORE POWER" :)

As to the mounting system. A lot of these "Factory" mounts will still let the motor flop around when strapped down and running thru chop. This is very hard on the motors and as a result they can have problems.

This may have something to do with the ones I've installed NOT having problems, as I don't use these factory quick detach mounts and the motors ride rock solid in chop.

It's a bunch of work to install one like I do, but the customers are happy and it is how I would do it to my own rig.

Wiring plays a big role here too. I'm betting the Scout you have has strands of 6ga wire to the front of the boat. That would be bare min., maybe? If the wiring is to small the performance of the motor will suffer.

The thing is, most people don't think about that and thus blame the motor as a POS.

This mounting is thru bolted with alum backing plates. None of those expanda nuts here.

The piece of 3/4in Starboard serves 2 purposes. It raises the unit to clear the rail and gives a nice finished look to the forward end of the mount.

·
Registered
3,048 Posts
Hey Flylipps - I just bought that same boat from someone on the forum. They used it primarily in the rivers and it has a 12 volt - 55lb thrust on it. I fished on it this weekend for the first time and it definitely is underpowered in a stiff wind or any current whatsoever. I'm having mine replaced before my next fishing trip hopefully. I'm looking at a ~70lb thrust and 24 volt.

·
Registered
66 Posts
When it comes to trolling motors, simpler is better. If it were up to me, I'd opt for more power over the 3x steering or a foot control. I would, however, consider a quick release mount. I would get one of these vs the minn kota. It is sturdy and only leaves the two aluminum pads on the boat.

http://www.iboats.com/Swivl_Eze_Trol_Lock_Motor_Mount/dm/session_id.781383660--cart_id.012024545--category_id.238347--list_time.1199138934--view_id.3950

I would also recommend an extension handle...saves your back!

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_-1_10001_1208_200002004_200000000_200002000_200-2-4

I am a dealer for Minn Kota if you have any other quesitons.

·
Banned
1,953 Posts
I love my 3x 74 lb, i can steer with a cast net in my hands! Mines 3 years old now, and well used. The little direction indicator broke soon after i purchased it, but it has out performed 4 Motor guides. I used to have twin Moto Guides on the back of my flats boat, boths sets corroded and froze-up.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks a bunch to all of y'all that took the time to reply. Still having to balance the costs and benefits of more "horses" versus the unending "begging for money" issue!

·
Registered
180 Posts
Lots of wisdom here!

Go as big as you can afford. I'm underpowered with the Riptide 65 in my 18 foot flats. Also, factor your battery space (24 or 36). Other must haves:<UL><LI>Quick Release Bracket </LI><LI>Trolling Motor Plug (Male)</LI><LI>Trolling Motor Receptacle (Female)</LI><LI>On Board Charger</LI>[/list]

Take a look at pages 475, 476 and 494 in the 08 BPS Catalog.

Above all, listen to these guys.They know what they're talking about!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts