Pensacola Fishing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ive recently moved my trolling motor to the front of my 14 ft boat ,and i was wondering about putting a toggle switch on the positive wire of my trolling motor being my fishing partner is 4 and loves to mess with stuff on the boat .i guess what im trying to say is i dont want my daughter to twist the handle and get chewed up.what size amp switch will i need to use to keep from burning up my motor or does it matter?

·
Registered
4,958 Posts
why not just wire a plug in and unplug when not in use? also if you store it you can just unplug it and take it off without having to cut wires

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the plug in thing is a good idea but im working with a 4 yr old who thinks daddys boat is the cross between a air craft carrier and a gymnasium.shell plug it in and unplug it when im using it.a toggle switch i might be able to hide

·
Registered
262 Posts
Wire it through a solenoid and use any switch you like.

·
Registered
923 Posts
A 12V trolling motor will pull about 1 amp for each pound of thrust, in water. A 24V will pull about 1/2 amp for each pound of thrust in water. In air, they pull much less amperage. When you first start them up in water, they briefly pull more.

I'd say wire in a kill switch powering a solenoid so it can't be started without a key.

·
Registered
262 Posts
A solenoid will have a two large terminals and two small terminals. Disconnect your battery, Cut the trolling motor positive wire and attach the part from the battery to the incoming large terminal of the solenoid and the end going to the trolling motor to the outgoing large terminal. Take the switch and run a small wire from the large terminal that comes from the battery to the switch; then run a small wire from the switch to the small terminal closest to the incoming large battery side positive terminal. The other small terminal normally is sent to ground. When the switch is engaged all you are doing is sending power to the small terminal that basically engages a larger switch inside the solenoid.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts