Pensacola Fishing Forum banner
41 - 51 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
600 Posts
Ya"ll are scaring the shit out of me. I'm trying to turn a bay boat (22 foot cc) into a crappie boat.I love the boat. I can literally put a ton of crap in the boat. Its getting a forward imaging sonar.I'm thinking now just pole mount the transducer and stick with the tiller trolling motor on it now.I don't want a self deploying trolling motor.I just one want with spot lock that is quiet.And has the best reputation of not crapping out. Sonar is already going to be close to 4,000(16 inch live with active target) And I know garmin is (better to be debated) but everything I have is lawrence and Simrad so I will be sticking with that good or bad. So I really need help on the trolling motor.
Do not put active target/ live scope transducer on trolling motor shaft. While on spot lock, shaft will turn changing your view. Use separate pole to mount transducer on. FWIW, I have an XI5 because I have Lowrance electronics. I have had zero issues.

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
The only time I've run my batteries very low, due to the rough conditions, the motor stowed itself. Should it get stuck for some reason I can always take the motor off. I don't leave the trolling motor on the boat when I'm not fishing.

·
Registered
290 Posts
The only time I've run my batteries very low, due to the rough conditions, the motor stowed itself. Should it get stuck for some reason I can always take the motor off. I don't leave the trolling motor on the boat when I'm not fishing.
I was fishing with my pop a couple of months ago, he had bad tm batteries, didn’t know it, and the motor got stuck in the down position. It was a royal bitch to get it out of the water. For that reason, and that reason alone, I will never own an auto deploy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
827 Posts
Ya"ll are scaring the shit out of me. I'm trying to turn a bay boat (22 foot cc) into a crappie boat.I love the boat. I can literally put a ton of crap in the boat. Its getting a forward imaging sonar.I'm thinking now just pole mount the transducer and stick with the tiller trolling motor on it now.I don't want a self deploying trolling motor.I just one want with spot lock that is quiet.And has the best reputation of not crapping out. Sonar is already going to be close to 4,000(16 inch live with active target) And I know garmin is (better to be debated) but everything I have is lawrence and Simrad so I will be sticking with that good or bad. So I really need help on the trolling motor.
Agree with shmelton on model. I had a terrova for years on a 22 Pathfinder, that is all you'll need. May be wrong but I'm not aware of a saltwater MK that had a transducer built in. Honestly, forget about all that BS linking it to your GPS. In all the years I had mine, there were two main options I used, spot lock and heading lock. The rest IMO is just fluff. Make sure to mount on a quick release in case something goes sideways and you need to remove the motor in the water.

·
Registered
6,011 Posts
Honestly, forget about all that BS linking it to your GPS
Yep.....Total waste........Motor up close to your waypoint with Outboard. Deploy TM while watching Chartplotter. Engage TM to fine tune position.....Hit spot Lock. No interface needed.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Yep.....Total waste........Motor up close to your waypoint with Outboard. Deploy TM while watching Chartplotter. Engage TM to fine tune position.....Hit spot Lock. No interface needed.
I don’t have bow mounted electronics like a bass boat. I can sit at the console and plot a course on a creek bottom or contour line. Also have used the course plot on a contour line to stay in a certain depth while drifting with the current down in the Keys. All while sitting under the shade of the T Top. Only using trolling motor remote to hit spot lock when a school of fish were seen on bottom machine.
If your fishing style is to sit atop a reef and drop baits down, sure no need for it. A lot of tools are built into this equipment. If I’m paying thousands for this stuff, I will use every bit of it’s functions to increase my fish catching.

·
Registered
6,011 Posts
If your fishing style is to sit atop a reef and drop baits down, sure no need for it.
Hadn't even throught of that, as I do not freshwater fish and 95% are installed to sit on top of reefs and Bottom Drop.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Hadn't even throught of that, as I do not freshwater fish and 95% are installed to sit on top of reefs and Bottom Drop.
A friends 29 Ocean Runner almost completed. It has the 36V Rhodan being installed. Will be playing with track mode to maintain a drift on the shelf line for swords instead of straight line drift with wind and current. Will take more input from the remote. In the Keys, I could use my Lowrance to plot a course on the drop off with no input on the remote except to anchor. Needed the power of the Rhodan for the Ocean Runner. XI5 is good for my 22 Pathfinder. I ain’t fishing for swords in that thing. Not off the northern Gulf Coast at least.

41 - 51 of 51 Posts