Pensacola Fishing Forum banner
21 - 40 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
I have currently have a 36v Rhodan (29’ cat) a 36v MinnKota Terrova (24’ bay boat with hardtop) and a 24v MinnKota Terrova (21’ bay boat, no top). The Rhodan is more powerful than the MK. One issue I have had with a MK is that you must unplug the motor before charging. I lost the motherboard on the 24v unit; the dealer who fixed it (a bit more than $400) told me that not unplugging the MK before charging killed the board.

The spot lock on the latest Rhodan was better than the MK four years ago when I installed the Rhodan, but the latest MK is now as good. The Rhodan was more expensive than the MK, but it is a longer shaft unit, so the cost differential may not be large for identical units. Both brands are very quiet. The remotes are different, but I find either of them pretty easy to use. For bottom fishing offshore, or fishing inshore, I believe they are the most important feature on the boat.

·
Registered
6,011 Posts
You can get a Minn Kota with a built in transducer, but I’m pretty sure its exclusive to Humminbird electronics
Not talking about a X-Ducer.......I'm talking about the GPS antenna. You also have to wire it for power with the Minkota.

·
Registered
6,011 Posts
One issue I have had with a MK is that you must unplug the motor before charging. I lost the motherboard on the 24v unit; the dealer who fixed it (a bit more than $400) told me that not unplugging the MK before charging killed the board.
And why I install Master On/Off switches and tell people to turn them OFF when TM is not in use....This does the same as Unplugging it and is more convenient.... This is what happens when you don't have a Master switch or don't use it in this case......Failure to follow instructions !

Rodan has a tag on the Power cord now......Says "Unplug before charging."
White Aircraft Light Sky Airplane

·
Registered
285 Posts
Everything I have heard about trolling motors
1- Avoid auto deploy models if your health and boat allows it. More moving parts = more chance to break, and I know the place I bought my motor from won't even install self deploy models because they break so often.
2- Step up a level on voltage and/or shaft length. There's nothing worse then spending 5 grand on a spot lock and install to find out that it doesn't work in 2 foot seas or with strong current
3- I haven't met anyone who regrets buying one. Do it yesterday
4- You'll hear horror stories about rhodans and minnkotas, every brand out there has lemons. Rhodans include a base so the price difference is about 300 bucks closer than the price tag suggests.
5- Rhodan's customer support is second to none. I've had to replace some parts and the warranty process is easy and the repairs are are straight forward.

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
Pretty well known that it shouldn’t have power on it unless being used.
I learned the hard way when the paint on mine delaminated and the lower unit rusted. I had not heard about the control head till discussions occurred here on the forums about it. This one is on its last leg but I'll be doing some different things for the next one - master kill switch when not in use, support for the shaft when running in chop, and a cover for it when not in use. And I don't think I'll be getting another self-deploy; in addition to having had to replace it once on my dime, I've also had too many 'oh crap it's not coming back up' moments.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I'll never have another one!!! Very nice to just press a button but when the head jacks up and leaves it in the down mode and it doesn't have a quick release, YOU ARE SCREWED!!!!

THIS!!!
I will never buy another self deploy. Mine has gone out on me 4 or 5 times and it’s always when you are out at sea. Laying on the bow to pull a trolling motor off is nerve racking.
If I were to buy another MK it would be the Terrova so I could pull it out of the water manually. I would also consider a Motorguide.

Exactly.....I think I originallly said I had a motorguide....opppps MinnKota!

·
Bearded Brotula
14,508 Posts
You rick folks. I'm dropping a cinder block and rope to stay in one spot.

Reactions: kmerr80 and DLo

·
Registered
827 Posts
Me either, in the 4 years I have had mine, it has been unplugged once to re pack with die electric grease

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
I put a post on the PFF probably 4-5 years ago about delamination. There have been subsequent posts and threads on other sites about similar issues. Definitely need to have a kill switch and a quick release bracket.

Best advice I can give anyone buying a TM is buy an extended warranty. They all break at some point.

·
Registered
11,469 Posts
I put a post on the PFF probably 4-5 years ago about delamination. There have been subsequent posts and threads on other sites about similar issues. Definitely need to have a kill switch and a quick release bracket.

Best advice I can give anyone buying a TM is buy an extended warranty. They all break at some point.
My powder coating on the foot did peel, but I stripped, primmed and painted it when I replaced the steering gear 2 months ago. I think I remember that post. I may add a switch when I get around to hard wiring it and get rid of the plug. Guess I thought I would remove it sometimes, never gonna happen, lol

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,011 Posts
I've preached all along about Master ON/Off switch and USING it. Way before the manufactures put warning tags on.....At least Rodan does,
Every install I do gets one and in a easy accessible location.

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
I've preached all along about Master ON/Off switch and USING it. Way before the manufactures put warning tags on.....At least Rodan does,
Every install I do gets one and in a easy accessible location.
Is this the same problem with the anodes corroding on the motors and turning to dust when I hook up the on board chargers and forget to turn disconnets off ?LOL

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 · (Edited)
Ya"ll are scaring the shit out of me. I'm trying to turn a bay boat (22 foot cc) into a crappie boat.I love the boat. I can literally put a ton of crap in the boat. Its getting a forward imaging sonar.I'm thinking now just pole mount the transducer and stick with the tiller trolling motor on it now.I don't want a self deploying trolling motor.I just one want with spot lock that is quiet.And has the best reputation of not crapping out. Sonar is already going to be close to 4,000(16 inch live with active target) And I know garmin is (better to be debated) but everything I have is lawrence and Simrad so I will be sticking with that good or bad. So I really need help on the trolling motor.

·
Registered
290 Posts
80lb 24v minnkota terrova and be done with it. Get a blue tooth version, so if your remote goes dead, you can use the app on your phone. I’ve left my remote on the console over night and it got water in the screen when it rained. It was nice to be able to use the app the next day, and not lose the use of my tm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
Let the battery burn out while it’s deployed and you will sing a different tune. Gotta take the M Effer apart to get it up.
Not being able to get it up is almost always bad.

Wait, I'm talking about trolling motors here!

Reactions: jwilson1978
21 - 40 of 51 Posts