Pensacola Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at. Going to to get a forward imaging sonar I already know what that's going to be. But witch trolling motor will hold up the best? With the fewest problems? It will be going on a 22 blazer bay. It will live in fresh water from now on.24 volt set up right now would like to stay with that but can and will step up to 36 if I need to.

·
Super Moderator
29,692 Posts
If you are mainly going to stay in calm waters, 24 will be fine. If going to be in rougher, more current go with 36. I have had 2 (24/36) Minn Kota and will never have another boat w/out 1! Never had the Rodan but heard good things about em. When you are ready, call Shannon at Andalusia Marine....

·
Registered
3,659 Posts
I have Minn Kota 24 volt 80# on my 17 1/2 key west. I take it in the bay and holds well even on rough and high current days. I think you should be fine for what you are using it for

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
I have had both. The MinKota and the Rhodan. I prefer the MinnKota. It is easier to deploy and retrieve. The remote is easier to use. Both were 24v systems and both held about the same. The rhodan has just given up and shut off in high current on a windy day, the MinnKota never did that. The only time my MinnKota shut off was when the cables went to shit and had to be replaced (several years old). Once replaced with the correct tinned wire, better then new. Whenever I buy another motor it will be a MinnKota hands down. The MinnKota remote did have a quirk. It would stop working. We had to place the battery in backwards for so many seconds then take it back out to put back in correctly and it would work again. We probably had to do that 3 times in 3 years but it worked.

·
Registered
6,011 Posts
The MinKota and the Rhodan. I prefer the MinnKota
Really? Rodan....Easier to install, because the antenna is in the unit....Not in a remote location, like on top of the console. Rodan remote control / keyfob has 1/2 the buttons for easier understanding.

·
Premium Member
12,617 Posts
Rhodan here. I’ve owned rhodan on my last two boats.
Keep them covered and you will never have a problem with them.
They aren’t waterproof so a trolling motor cover is essential.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Rhodan does have good Customer Service. My electronic do-hicky on the top of the motor went out after about 3 months but the Customer Service guy mailed me a new one. I was back in business in about 4 days and 4 minutes. It was easy to change out. Mail is slow.

·
Registered
3,819 Posts
You can get a Minn Kota with a built in transducer, but I’m pretty sure its exclusive to Humminbird electronics

·
Premium Member
12,617 Posts
Thanks for the input.1 more question witch one of the 2 is more quiet as I will be right on top of the fish I’m thinking?
If you have a facebook page , join the minnkota page, MotorGuide page, and rhodan page and se what the availability on parts for repairs are. Some are having trouble getting parts

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I guess I should said this the new set up will be for crappie fishing in deep tops and trying to get yellow cats out from under rocks.That's the plan anyway thanks' to everyone for all for your input.

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
Once you go self-deploy, you never go back...
When the deploy motor first went out (outside warranty by a few months of course), we found a worn belt we could replace and thank goodness for Doug at Perdido Marine Supply who sold us a belt and explained the whole mechanism for 6 dollars. We replaced that and were back in business for snapper season but that fall the steering motor went out. So now 2 years later, 1 deploy motor unit, 1 control head, and 1 steering motor unit into our current one, I can't say yet ... I know I will replace this motor before much longer as at 5 years I'm not willing to put more money into it, and the deploy mechanism some 12 months after replacement is making some cringy noises.... I'm still debating the cost vs. convenience. I do like the auto-deploy especially for the ability to trim the depth on the fly when fishing the upper bays, don't get me wrong, but it's one more thing to spend money on when it breaks (and it will).

I have been back and forth on this, and I still am not sure. The point is, if you buy it be prepared to replace it. It'll happen.

Reactions: jwilson1978

·
Super Moderator
29,692 Posts
Once you go self-deploy, you never go back...
I'll never have another one!!! Very nice to just press a button but when the head jacks up and leaves it in the down mode and it doesn't have a quick release, YOU ARE SCREWED!!!!

Most people I know that had them will never go back to them. At least the Minn Kota ones. Too many drive and board issues.
Exactly.....I think I originallly said I had a motorguide....opppps MinnKota!

Reactions: jwilson1978

·
Registered
511 Posts
First, and I'm not sure why anyone doesn't acknowledge this, look at what electronics you have and the type of fishing you do most and match the trolling motor to that. If you ONLY fish freshwater and use Lowrance, Motorguide or the Lowrance Ghost are both hard to beat...they integrate into the Lowrance graph much better than Minn Kota. If you're a Garman user, they have their own trolling motor. Minn Kota works and pairs with Humminbird.
Auto deploy works GREAT in fresh water but I've talked to too many people who've had many troubles in salt water with that feature. Rhodan is a good BIG boat trolling motor, as is Minn Kota (think offshore center consoles of 27-33ft) This discussion always reminds me of Ford vs Chevy but don't buy just because of a brand or one specific feature...look at this as a part of a whole system of electronics and you'll be happier in the long run.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts