Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
It is about time to replace my trolling motor batteries, I have a MinnKota riptide 24v, I have been using Walmart G29s deep cycles, and have never been happy with them. I have an onboard charger. They have just never seem to last long. I read where interstate batteries are good. I just replaced my wiring and connectors and it is a little better but not what it should be. Another question, what is the nominal voltage you all get a day after charging. Please let me know what your thought are.
Thanks

T Green

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
Call the Interstate store in Milton (in the industrial Park off Avalon). They often have (but they go fast) remans and blems for cheap! I've had several and they have been great.

·
Super Moderator
28,126 Posts
I just bought AGM group 31 at Sams Club... 215.00. My 36 volt troller had 1 bad battery so I only had to buy 1. I use to buy wallyworld batteries and never had a problem with em though.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I have Optima Bluetops and I can fish for 3 days running my trolling motor without charge. I have an older Great White 24v tm.
I will look them up, but if i dont answer back, i probably went into sticker shock. how do you charge them? i have a pro mariner pro sport charger

thanks tg

·
Green Eggs And Ham
8,951 Posts
I have Optima Bluetops and I can fish for 3 days running my trolling motor without charge. I have an older Great White 24v tm.
You have a boat? Dude post some fishing reports!

I just bought AGM group 31 at Sams Club... 215.00. My 36 volt troller had 1 bad battery so I only had to buy 1. I use to buy wallyworld batteries and never had a problem with em though.

Are they sealed?

·
Registered
3,840 Posts
Years ago, I used to work for an Optima dealer. We had a 100% failure rate on them. Yep, I said 100%. We dropped them after about 6 months and picked Interstate back up. Never had much problem out of them. We had gone to Optima because they were supposed to be the best thing out there. Maybe they have better quality control now, I but I will never bet my life on one.

Now, I use Walmart batteries in one of my boats, and Odyssey in the other. And a Yuasa in my kayak.

·
Registered
732 Posts
I've had a MK Riptide since 2011 and am on my 4th set of batteries. Never had a set last more than 2 years. On Optima blue tops now and approaching the 2 year mark but they haven't been used as heavily as the others. So far so good. If the Optimas make it thru 3 years, I'll consider it a win.

·
Jaded Old Phart
5,726 Posts
Question for you unhappy WalMart battery users. Are you checking the water levels semi annually? Never?
Curious.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Question for you unhappy WalMart battery users. Are you checking the water levels semi annually? Never?
Curious.
Yes I do, i have a golf kart too, and check them all the time. from the beginning they never produced good power, I know that they are made in the same factory as interstate. I have been a fan of using Walmart batters in my trucks and car because of the ease of getting them replace and they seem to last a long time. but I want something better something that will do the job. i looking for constructive information.

tg

·
Jaded Old Phart
5,726 Posts
Just wondering because WM/Sams can sell cheaper cause stuff is made to their specs which is probably below the manuf normal specs.

And, has anybody bothered to check how old the battery was when purchased? Like if it was sitting on the shelf for 6 months or so?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Just wondering because WM/Sams can sell cheaper cause stuff is made to their specs which is probably below the manuf normal specs.

And, has anybody bothered to check how old the battery was when purchased? Like if it was sitting on the shelf for 6 months or so?
I have been checking out if batteries made by that same manufacturing planet but go to different retailers are not the same. for example a ever start vs a interstate. but we dont know the specs.

here is some good reading

http://jgdarden.com/batteryfaq/batbrand.htm

But my neighbor just got home, he is a boat captain, off shore oil rig type. any he really knows how to fish. our two boats are about the same both have the same 24v trolling motor. we got them both in 2014. he had two optimax g34, and two big spot lights. those batteries are holding up very well. I may have to bite the bullet and spend the money

tg

·
Jaded Old Phart
5,726 Posts
Here's a example: 31DTMAGM Duracell from Sams $180 18 month replacement.

31DTMAGMDC Duracell from Batteries+Bulbs $240, but if you order online and p/u in store 10% off, 30 month replacement.

Both have identical electrical specs.

But there's still the question of how long those batteries were sitting on the shelf. I can't imagine they're a fast mover.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Here's a example: 31DTMAGM Duracell from Sams $180 18 month replacement.

31DTMAGMDC Duracell from Batteries+Bulbs $240, but if you order online and p/u in store 10% off, 30 month replacement.

Both have identical electrical specs.

But there's still the question of how long those batteries were sitting on the shelf. I can't imagine they're a fast mover.
thanks, yep how long? got some good information from you all thanks again.
t Green

1 - 20 of 28 Posts