Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been wanting to get an do some trolling for kings. I got hobie prob angler but just haven't had the time and I was planning on trying this weekend. Now with that said my question is, what's the best way to catch some an how far out? I know a lot of the offshore guys use the yozuri deep diver bust is it too shallow to toll with that past the second bar for kings? An what's the best way rig cigs for trolling?

·
Registered
73 Posts
weird we posted about the same time. I found a ton of king rigs on youtube. super easy (looking.)

I am heading out this Thurs at the GF pier for my first trip out.

·
Registered
400 Posts
if you search there have been a ton of threads recently on it but my go to is a duster with a frozen cigar minnow. havent pulled plugs from the kayak because i didnt want to deal with the drag but they do work from a boat. i would work from the second bar to about half a mile past it. if you have a gps sometimes there are kings around the public numbers and that can be productive as well.

·
Registered
591 Posts
I like to take 2 rods out. I'll have a sabiki on one in case I find some bait and have a traditional trolling setup on the other.
I haven't tried many combinations, but a weighted pink duster with a J-hook up front to hook the bait and a stinger treble trailing behind has proven to be quite effective in catching kings.

Something like that.

Frozen cigs will work just fine if you can't find live bait.
Just troll anywhere from 20-100 yards past the second sandbar where the water color changes and you'll find fish.

If I can't find any live bait or have caught enough, I like to take my sabiki rig off one of my rods and put an unweighted duster setup, so I'm fishing multiple columns of the water. The weighted duster gets hit more often, but when you're fishing surface and sub-surface, it will increase your odds.

·
Bearded Brotula
11,528 Posts
I wasn't in a kayak, but I was getting nailed by them around 3 Barges last week. Pulling some small squid chains. And a Mirrolure 113mr. Snagged the biggest remora I have seen in a long time. Hate them things.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts