Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have outfitted my rods and reels with monofilament backing And braid on top for bottom fishing and bay fishing.

Now, I realize I don’t have a set up for trolling, as everyone recommends monofilament for the stretch. If I use a along enough leader can I get away with using my current set ups.

·
Registered
425 Posts
You can troll braids just fine. Old myth and a lot of people are doing it now because if your trolling diving baits it’s actually more effective.

·
Registered
3,920 Posts
You can troll braids just fine. Old myth and a lot of people are doing it now because if your trolling diving baits it’s actually more effective.
I am going to disagree trolling with braid will cause alot of pulled hooks because of the very little stretch it has . Will it work yes will I ever troll with straight braid no. Not to mention mono has alot more abrasion resistance.

·
Registered
170 Posts
If you’re worried about pulling hooks then can’t you compensate for that with less drag? You can always throw on a wind on leader to add more cushion and go mono-braid-mono.

I follow the school of thought with most things, but in the back of my mind I always think of the old timers like Zane gray using POS reels and line and lures that would get laughed at these days and they still managed to catch fish.

·
Registered
490 Posts
My opinion (and that is all it is- my opinion) is that you need some “give” or stretch. However you achieve that is up to you. one year I ran an all braid setup except for the 12’ mono leader and pulled hooks. A LOT of pulled hooks. But I also had poorly paired my reels and the poles they were on. My whole setup had no give except for drag adjustment. It worked horribly for me. The next year I went to mono, properly matched my poles and reels, and had zero pulled hooks that I can remember.

Maybe try 100 yards of mono top shot? Run your drag low on your reels? There are a ton of options to get some “give” into your setup. I would probably go with a mono top shot and see how that goes.

Hope that helps.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts