Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Squid technician
10,484 Posts
There is a ton of different ways and you will most likely get a million different answers but most troll them on two hook rigs with either two trebles or a single J hook in front with a treble in the rear for a stinger. I make mine from #4-5 singlstrand wire with a 1/0 Mustad 9174 in the front and a 4X, #4 treble for my trailer. I use rigs with and without dusters but prefer without. The main thing is to make sure that your cig isn't spinning. If its a live cig, it won't be as big of an issue but with a dead one, hook him from the bottom jaw through the upper, coming through the dead center of his head in between the nostrils. If it comes out more to one side, expect him to spin and create a twisted mess in the line. Leave the stinger free swinging or hook it through the base of the anal fin on the underside. The weight of the treble on the belly will act like a keel and also help keep it from spinning

·
Registered
716 Posts
Thank you so much for the info. Will it stay down under the water or will it rise up to the top?

I could never tell if it stayed under or not but always got fish like this. I guess it depends how fast you're trolling. I normally use my hobie AI to troll so I let the wind determine how fast I am gonna troll :thumbup:

·
Registered
188 Posts
Unless you use additional weights it will rise. I was curious about this as well and last trip out I set my sis up with a cig and a two oz weighted duster she paddled past me and her rig was about one foot under water. We paddle so when I troll I will vary my speeds. Mostly just very slow casual paddle. Try to glide my strokes out. I catch fish so this works, I also let out a rather liberal ammount of line.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts