Pensacola Fishing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a small boat and the one battery is used for cranking, fish finder and trolling motor. should i be using a deep cell trolling battery for the longest trolling time or is there a in between that's better for both cranking and trolling? Does anyone know about how long i can go without cranking the motor? i'm always worried i'm going to troll to long and then won't be able to crank the motor. thanks for any input

·
Registered
4,276 Posts
Thats good advise fisheye,,, in any case, on the battery is a reserved capacity number, if you have a fully charged deep cycle battery, running the things you decribe, i would run no more than half of the RC of the battery. and yes the bigger the deep cycle the longer you can run..

·
Registered
184 Posts
You say "small boat" but that may mean different things to different people. I have a "small boat" that I can use for two days with out charging the battery. I have a 15' aluminum boat with a 25 Yamaha and a 48 lb thrust trolling motor. I run one good deep cycle/cranking battery and have never had a problem. I can use it for 2 days before I have trouble cranking the motor. My Yamaha 25is the hardest starting motor I have ever owned. It takes several tries so it puts a goodload on the battery.

If you call a"small boat" a 17' with a 90 HP motor and a 70 lb thrust trolling motor,you would be better off withrunning two batteries.

·
Registered
5,918 Posts
I run one good deep cycle/cranking battery

This is something that I never do or suggest.

I put "Cranking" batteries in to crank the motor and "Deep Cycle" batteries for the House battery or Trolling Motor battery.

A Uni battery as I call them don't do either job as well, but it works for you. :)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks guys good advice...space is of the essence. i'm running a 15 war eagle w/25hp johnson and everything hooked to one battery. i think i'll just keep an extra stored not hooked up as a back up......trolling from sun up to sun down sometimes gives me the willies w/no backup!

·
Registered
5,918 Posts
Why not just hook that extra battery to the trolling motor?

Your gonna carry it anyway.

Then when you get home just charge it up.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts