Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, this past weekend I was having issue with line twist while trolling. I was using smaller barrel swivels and hoping it would not twist but is was a no go. I was constantly getting twist and having to get rid of it. Was curious what are some ways to get rid of the constant line twist....I was trolling a frozen cig one 1 setup and and duster w/ frozen cig the other. Would the help of a small deep six get rid of that if trolling at 2mph?

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
421 Posts
To be clear, is your line twisting because your bait is spinning? Its not the line, its the bait and how its hooked in that case. You have to be very careful to hook the bait along its midline so it doesn't spin. I find hooking too far back in the head creates spin, too close to the lips and the hook may tear free. If the bait is still frozen solid it may spin b/c its an odd shape. Some people break the back of dead bait so its more flexible.
I check to make sure the my cigar minnow isn't spinning every time I put a new one on. Its a pain since I paddle, but its worth it b/c you need to have a bait that doesn't spin like a pin wheel if you want to catch fish. Sometimes I have to pull the hook out and try again, its take a while to get the hang of.

·
Registered
5,602 Posts
I personally never run a frozen cig naked on a conventional king rig. I will run fresh dead turbo cigs, speedos and ballyhoo naked but not on a conventional king rig. Otherwise I run a duster. And like the previous poster mentioned, you need to make sure your bait is straight and hooked properly and doesn't spin before you start trolling. I've had good luck with the cheap Tsunami 30# ball bearing swivels too.

·
Registered
3,840 Posts
Yep, I third the "make sure your bait isn't spinning" comments.

If you are using a spinning reel and your line is loaded backwards on the reel, you will get huge amounts of line twist as well. No swivel will fix it. There are only two ways to fix it
1 strip all line and start over with new line.
2 put something very small on end of line like a swivel. Open bail on reel and let all of your line out behind you in the water like you are trolling. Troll around for a mile or so. Much of the line twist will work out. Or so I hear. I've never tried it personally. When you do this, you have to watch for people crossing over your line though or you will get option #1. haha

·
Registered
671 Posts
I learned last year from another post that if you clip the tail of your bait with scissors (I cut them along the same line as the back and the bottom curve of the bait) that will greatly reduce the spin. I have had much less trouble since I started doing this and I troll "naked" baits without dusters.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks everyone...

I been using a spinning rod for trolling....I want to move away from my 8ft pier rod to a nice 7ft spinning rod to troll with. I do cut the tails off the frozen cigs as I would from the pier. The duster hasn't seemed to get twisted, just the frozen cig with no duster....I've had most luck though trolling just a frozen cig though.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
671 Posts
Pretty much cutting off the whole tail such that it leaves a point as if you carried the lines of the backbone and the belly through the tail. Almost like a sharpened pencil.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts