Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Terrible Fisherman
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone go out int he gulf by themselves? Im hoping to fish on saturday if the weather cooperates and the gulf is flat lake of mexico conditions. Ive never fished the gulf from my kayak but have been constantly checking conditions which we all know have been better for surfing lately than for kayak fishing. Luckily ive been surfing for over 20 years so the rough seas dont bother me much lol. Having ben a surfer/diver/free diver for years and former Marine im very comfortable in the water and very capable of handling myself.:thumbsup: Either way im headed out this saturday from the FWB pier and hope to troll for kings and anything else that will bite. All advice and warning are appreciated. All my gear is leashed I have a spare paddle,whistle,pfd, cell phone, etc. My kayak is a trident 15 and has lots of storage and is very stable as well as fast it takes very little to keep it moving.

Thanks in advance

Disco

·
baby_doc
419 Posts
i go by myself a good amount, im not gonna give you the safety speech. but just keep an eye on the weather other than that just go tear it up. the king bite has been on!

·
Registered
169 Posts
Isn't there a group trolling from Navarre pier to Pensacola pier Saturday? If you want to drive over there, I'm sure they wouldn't mind having you. Best advice I can give is be organized, I'm an always a hot mess out there and I must my boga grips because of it last time, I'm lucky I didn't flip trying to find something in the wrong spot with 6 other things on top of it. And make sure multiple people know your fishing plans, including location and time frame, just incase something terrible does happen, people knew when to start getting worried and where to start looking

·
Registered
679 Posts
the trip from Navarre to pcola is still on! You would be in the company of other Marines and guys that enjoy a challenge. 17 miles of hardcore fishing if you would like to join PM lowprofile or myself and we will let you know the details of the trip. UGLY

·
Terrible Fisherman
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
the trip from Navarre to pcola is still on! You would be in the company of other Marines and guys that enjoy a challenge. 17 miles of hardcore fishing if you would like to join PM lowprofile or myself and we will let you know the details of the trip. UGLY

Hmmm this sounds like a fun trip!!! Im not sure that im a qualified enough fisherman to hang with yall lol. I barely have enough gear, im a total trolling newb. Pm incoming.

·
Terrible Fisherman
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I go out by myself sometimes. But after my last trip offshore it might not happen again.

Did i read that you got forced in to shore shortly after launching from a heavy squall? Then shortly after it cleared up? Did you loose gear or get injured?

Disco

·
Tangle Master
3,308 Posts
No no. My Propel drive locked up. I lost a paddle. I lost a rod and reel. And I lost my temper. Now big thanks to Coaltrain for finding the paddle. I was paddling around using the drive well cover.

·
Registered
335 Posts
I normally go off Orange Beach by myself since there is no one else there. I normally have family on the beach as spotters and there are lifeguard towers now that can watch me. I plan on going all weekend starting at sunrise. I carry a VHF radio, leashes, and water in case of something crazy. I don't venture out too far yet by myself though. I stay within 1/2 mile. I have only been out less than 10 times.

·
Terrible Fisherman
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
No no. My Propel drive locked up. I lost a paddle. I lost a rod and reel. And I lost my temper. Now big thanks to Coaltrain for finding the paddle. I was paddling around using the drive well cover.
Wow man I a really sorry to hear about that happening to you!!! What was the main cause of the trouble? Was it just a little too rough? Did it start off smooth and go to hell in a hurry? What would you have done different?

Disco

·
Registered
293 Posts
troubles

I got caught last time I went out and rolled mine in rough surf. Lost a mirage drive, rod and all my tackle box. I guess I should've stayed out through the storm since the surf calmed down afterward. Rod leash and no matter what, wear a life jacket.

·
Terrible Fisherman
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I got caught last time I went out and rolled mine in rough surf. Lost a mirage drive, rod and all my tackle box. I guess I should've stayed out through the storm since the surf calmed down afterward. Rod leash and no matter what, wear a life jacket.
Man id be so bummed sorry about your luck homie. My kayak is an Ocean Kayak Trident 15. It has a huge rod pod that I use every time I fish. Its a huge help to get extra gear, mainly poles, inside the yak and out of the way. Everything else is always strapped in I cant stand a messy unorganized kayak. In my yak everything has its place.

Disco

1 - 15 of 15 Posts