Pensacola Fishing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys I am going to the Keys on the 15th to visit a friend who lives inMarathon. It is going to be my first trip down there, and I am pumpedto do some fishing. Only problem is my buddy down there does notfish!! I am bringing my kayak so I will not be entirely landlocked! Iam looking for any advice on where to go? What to fish for? Any placesto stop along the way? Any input will help!

·
Registered
879 Posts
Will send PM shortly. Got plenty of info for you. That's my stomping ground.

Update: Posted info in General Section

·
Registered
7,722 Posts
Don't know if your interested but a stop along the way is Peace River for fossils and sharks teeth. Wife and I stopped last time thru and had a blast. Found all kinds of stuff.

Skip

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for all the info guys. I have been spending a lot of time on google earth looking up some of these spots! So much water to cover and so little time.. judging by the pictures on there, i am not going to want to leave! I definately want to hook a few tarpon and try to get a snook or too! How is the fishing around all the bridges? Do they hold fish or is the current too much to handle in a yak?

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
The current can rip around the bridges but you can easily reduce the effect using down current side of pilings...

One risk of fishing any bridge is large shark (10-14 footers) encounters on your bait or catch... I love to shark and my favorite spot is the S.E. side of 7 mile bridge (right out side of Bahia Honda state park)... this is also a hot spot for folks targeting large tarpon under bridges.

"Younger" tarpon abound in the channels and shallows/holes around BP/NN as well as Vaca Key (marathon)

Brent

·
Registered
292 Posts
Make sure you carry about $30 for all the tolls, you will go through. It will be alot faster if you get a sunpass. Once you get close to Miami, it seems like there is a toll every five miles and you have to pull off and wait in line to pay cash. With the sunpass, you just go straight on through.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts