·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Reactions: gator75

·
Premium Member
9,589 Posts
Mathgeek I’ll catch you some fish Buddy. You don’t have eat that mess.
What you want, flatheads or blues?

·
Registered
3,321 Posts
There are fish that are meant to be eaten and then there are those that are meant to finish cleaning up what the treatment plant missed. Black drum fall clearly within the latter group. :confused:

·
Registered
72 Posts
There are also a lot of people who really know what they're doing on a boat. That doesn't mean they know what they're doing with very different types of fish in the kitchen.

Anyone who can cook red snapper & grouper really well but not mackerels, drum, bonito or anything else is probably a very good fisherman. Full stop.

They are good fish. It just takes more skill, and a wider culinary vocabulary of recipes, ingredients, and techniques than the average home cook may be willing to dig into.

Going toward asian ingredients and flavors is a great way to broaden the horizon.

The way Spanish, Portuguese, Italian, and Greek chefs address fish is also very different than in the USA, and there's a lot to be observed there too.

·
Premium Member
9,589 Posts
Those are people who don’t catfish.
They don’t have a choice.

·
Registered
3,596 Posts
There are also a lot of people who really know what they're doing on a boat. That doesn't mean they know what they're doing with very different types of fish in the kitchen.

Anyone who can cook red snapper & grouper really well but not mackerels, drum, bonito or anything else is probably a very good fisherman. Full stop.

They are good fish. It just takes more skill, and a wider culinary vocabulary of recipes, ingredients, and techniques than the average home cook may be willing to dig into.

Going toward asian ingredients and flavors is a great way to broaden the horizon.

The way Spanish, Portuguese, Italian, and Greek chefs address fish is also very different than in the USA, and there's a lot to be observed there too.
Good luck eating remoras. When sharks, flipper and Asians won't touch it, no recipe can save it.
I will save you all the hardhead catfish you want.

Reactions: Stoker1

·
Registered
72 Posts
I'm not saying I keep everything, but shitting on black drum's just a bit too far over the line.

You got bluefish, bonito or Crevalle's I'll take em. You're looking at bonito in that picture.

Bled it out, pulled the top loins off and seared the skin black with a torch. That's how I learned in Japan.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts