Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If the bow of the boat wants to go to the right,which way do you move the trim tab standing at the rear of the motor? Tiller steer if that matters

·
Registered
4,230 Posts
generally you want to turn the tab in the direction of the pull, the way it works is if it is pulling right and you turn the tab to the right the water flowing past the tab will push it back to the left.

·
Registered
9,384 Posts
generally you want to turn the tab in the direction of the pull, the way it works is if it is pulling right and you turn the tab to the right the water flowing past the tab will push it back to the left.
You sure about that? Why wouldn't the tab work like a rudder and make the bow of boat go further to the right?

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
turned it right 2 marks....boat was pulling right bad and its strait now with no hands!..yall were right,turn it towards the way its wanting to go,THANKS!!.:thumbup:

·
Registered
9,384 Posts
Ok, I'm confused, Let me figure it different by turning right if pulling right are you turning the tab looking at the engine from the stern clockwise or counter clockwise?

·
Registered
9,384 Posts
OK thanks that is what I thought the tab acts as a rudder. If the boat steers easier to Starboard then turn the BACK of the tab to the left looking from the stern. I was just confused with the wording.:thumbup:

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok, I'm confused, Let me figure it different by turning right if pulling right are you turning the tab looking at the engine from the stern clockwise or counter clockwise?
The rear of the tab goes toward the way the boat wants to pull,,opposite of how I first thought. The only way it made sense to me was to think of it as a rudder for the motor,lol,if that makes any sense.:)

·
Registered
9,384 Posts
Ok the water stream is caught on the leading edge of the front of the tab causing the boat to pull to the left very unlike the stream of water coming off the prop. The tab is above the prop wash. Boing, light bulb just came on.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts