Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've heard a lot of people say good things about trim tabs and how they improve the ride in rough seas. Can someone explain this?

·
Registered
174 Posts
I use mine to level the boat left or right that is port and starboard. In choppy seas I use them to push the bow down so that the sharp "V" in the bow cuts through the chop. The opposite of trimming your foot up, to raise the bow.

·
Registered
6,190 Posts
Used the same way as in a aircraft, and almost ALL aircraft have them. They "trim" the boat so it not only rides in the water better, but takes pressure off the captain. Especially very useful when a boat is loaded unevenly.(port/starboard). Once you have them (on a boat that can use them) you won't want to be without them. period.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I installed a pair of electric trim tabs on my 20ft Dusky. Pretty straightforward install. It's like having another 2 ft of boat.

·
Banned
186 Posts
Outboards and sterndrives have a lot of weight aft, which can create a higher-than-optimal angle of attack which can result in "porpoising" or the bow bouncing hard off the water. Add a little trim tab and it goes away.

Generally:

Put them in the extreem down position for hole shot, then retract them when on plane.

Use them individually to balance an unbalanced boat.

Drop them a little in rough seas so the bow carves into the waves better

Lower them partially to allow the boat to plane at lower speeds

·
Registered
5,727 Posts
They can also be used in a quartering sea to make the boat run a little lop sided to help keep you from getting so wet.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The getting wet part is why I'm thinking about installing them. Irecently boughta Cape Horn 21 (which is a great boat) and I know why the nickname "Wet Horn" is used. I have been playing with the motor tilt trim and have been finding ways to reduce the spray and that got me to thinking about trim tabs.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks X-SHARK. I have been searching for something like that. I gotta read in more detail, but I figured someone made something like that.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts