Pensacola Fishing Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Land-Locked
1,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have any issues with this stuff, specifically in casting reels? I spooled up an Abu 6000 with 15lb line. Went out to 3MB yesterday and wasn't able to make a single cast without this line backlashing really bad on me. No matter what I set the brake at or bait weight, it would birdsnest really bad. I also spooled up some spinning reels we took as well, and the line kept wanting to unravel off the spools. Made a crappy day of fishing even more frustrating. I gave up on the Abu after 5 casts, and it almost got put at the bottom of the bay. :furious:

This can't be normal? First time I've used Big Game, as I normally would use Ande (with never an incident). Anyone have an idea what would cause such an issue with the line?

·
Bearded Brotula
14,098 Posts
Never that problem, but I have gotten a hold of some bad batches that kept breaking.

·
Registered
894 Posts
i use the big game a lot and have had some with more memory than i would like but nothing like your describing. i still use it on most of my reels both spinning and conventional. i only have 1 baitcaster but it has 15 lb big game on it and i havent noticed anything.

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
When/where did you purchase the line? Also, was it from a bulk spool or 1/4lb spool?

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
I've had similar issues caused by pulling the line off the spool the wrong way when spooling up. The best way I've found to correct it is to let all of the line out behind the boat and then rewind. The problem should resolve itself...

·
Registered
829 Posts
i try to stick to nothing but briad on my bait casters but make sure you put the braid on tight, i usually have someone spool it for me. i have had problems with mono on bait casters, esp if you have level winds on them

·
Topwater Addict
487 Posts
I've had similar issues caused by pulling the line off the spool the wrong way when spooling up. The best way I've found to correct it is to let all of the line out behind the boat and then rewind. The problem should resolve itself...
Not sure about the spinning reels but if you wind line onto a baitcaster opposite to the direction it was spooled it will fight you constantly.

·
Registered
885 Posts
Just a thought, that is fairly stiff mono in the first place, even though with 15# it should not be an issue. Buy some Reel Magic and spray the line down really well while on the reel. I use it on any of my reels with mono, and it works quite well.

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
One other thing is to much line on reel spool. I just went thur the same thing having to remove some line with same line.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I have thought it the past that it could be as simple as line age. I used to bass fish a lot and had p-line on all baitcasters. Well they set up for....a few years. When I wanted to use them for reds I stripped all old line off to replace it. Biggest ball of trash ever! Maybe being on the spool to long is real bad and I guess that falls in the memory category? Line is just like anything else, try em til you find em.

·
Land-Locked
1,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
It was a 1/4lb spool from Walmart. The line was spooled correctly.

I bought a spool of Ande Premium tonight, so I guess that solves the problem. Thanks for the input guys.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
BG

I use BG all of the time except on my Mitchell 406 spinning reel, which doesn't like it too well! :mad:

I bought some Ande and it's happy now! :thumbup: C2

·
Registered
336 Posts
that is not good line. I have pretty much went away from Mono but if you need to use some, get Sunline or a cheaper P-line. Those big spools sometimes have the worst memory and problems.

·
Topwater Bluefish fan
1,276 Posts
Yep, sounds like you wound your reel against the original lay of the feeder spool.

Catchin has some good advice there, tie on a heavy sinker with a swivel and let it all out .

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
the sinker is not necessary as the water tension of the moving water is enough to pull it off the reel. Also, if you've been pulling jacks all day on the edge or reeling in anything bigger than say 10 lbs, it's a good idea to free spool your lines on the way back in to get the tension off the spool and the lines. Doing so will keep memory to minimum and make your spools wear much slower. Spools stored with too much tension on them will eventually warp.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts