Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm curious to see what kind of tricks or tips everyone hasto make a boat ride better in chop. Do trim tabs or a full tank make a difference?

·
Registered
549 Posts
That question can be answer several ways. First depends on what type of hull you are running. Displacement,V-hull,Deep V,Tri and so on. The boat I fish on is a Deep V T31 contender that is 34'6'' long. We run it at about 30 knots up to 4 footers into ahead sea with a short chop. If the chop extends duration some time I will slow down as muchto 18 knots. While running in 4 footers @ 18 knots I will lift up the bow,raise the trim on the motors to 5 to 8 degrees, take out all trim on the planes. And then plan for a long ride with no pounding. If running at 30 knots in 4 footers I will level the motors trim to 2 degrees up,take out all trim on the planes. And hold on. A little pounding can be expected. Anything besides head and falling seas. I just adjust my RPM's for best speed.If it is calm seas under 2 feet . I will raise the stern of the boat by lowering the planes around half way or 15 degrees,raise the motors up for best speed at cruise. Without the trim on the planes in calm seas, our boat will porpoise. Just a word of advise, make sure that you have the right props before you start chasing speed with trim. I am on my 4 set of props and as of last week just got the boat to run like i wanted it to. Boat loading can also affect your ride. Hope this helps a little. Gene

·
Registered
749 Posts
Badfisherman (2/8/2010)I'm curious to see what kind of tricks or tips everyone hasto make a boat ride better in chop. Do trim tabs or a full tank make a difference?
To your first two questions, Trim tabs, Yes, very much soand fuelyes, depending on how much fuel (six gallons plastic tank not really, 250 gallons oh yeah.).

Gene (Purple Haze)has many, many hours of long runs at the helm. Heed his sound advise. The only thing I would add is thatbean bags will make a bumpy ride much, much nicer for your crew. Too much or too little throttle can make the ride miserable. See if you can find an experience operator with a boat like your's and seek his advice/knowlege for a starting point.

·
Registered
4,958 Posts
give us your definition of "chop" because what you feel it is will be differant to the next person...trim tabs will help you alot...but what gene said will help alot...what will also help you alot is to play with everything on your boat to see what makes it ride better...i.e a little motor trim and no tabs, alot of tabs and a empty tank, full tank lots of tabs, and so on

·
Registered
699 Posts
The OLE Get There.

I fish out of a Wellcraft Steplift V-20. I don't have trim tabs, powered by an I/O. I have found that weight distribution and speed helps out alot. Some days in the Gulf there is not much you can do to avoid pounding, depends on how fast you want to get there.I will trim my outdrive to achieive maximum speed with whatever RPM I'm running. I think one major factor in the pounding is the weight of the boat hull. I have fished out of a 25 ft. Cobia CC with twin 115s , my boat took the chop better than the Cobia. All fishing trips in the Gulf are, take what you can get, when in comes to getting there and back. Some days you can change yourheading by 5-10degrees offcourse . Go a mile 5-10degrees and then go other mile at 5-10 the other way, kindazig zag.I'm not trying to sound smart , but some days its best to drive the boat , not set on such course and hell bent on keeping the course.

·
Registered
541 Posts
i always start motor trim all the way down and tabs all the way down.. than slowly adjust the trim on the tabs to level boat and raise the bow.. then fine the balance with the motor trimmed up a bit.. find that sweet spot for the current conditions..

Being loaded with gas can affect speeds and boats ability to get on plane faster. Like meantioned before.. weight distribution of ice on the boat or the one buddy who is the same weight as two people can have some affect on the ride.

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
<P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt">Nothing beats trial and error. Try everything you?re reading on this thread and see what works best for you.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
One big thing I learned is your "fishing plan"

It seemed like last summer the waves were primarily out of the west. So I started going WSW (not directly into the waves) and stop to fish in a few spots, by the time we are ready to head home, we have worked our way west enough to almost have a following sea.

I learned that the hard way, headed east and when it was time to return, head sea the whole way. :banghead

·
PDC Fishing Team
1,981 Posts
I'm with Run Dover on this one. Ride em back in. Seems like I can take a beating first thing in the AM. After a day of fishing, not so much.

Every boat I've been on has been different. Your going to have to figure yours out and decide if you want comfort or efficiency. Don't expect to have both most of the time. If you have to quarter the waves for whatever reason, sometimes it's nice to raise the bow to one side and avoid the spray. If you can't hack the lean, try the zig zag pattern mentioned. I happen to be a fan of the zig zag. I'll spend some extra gas to ride in comfort and DRY.

Finally, take someone bigger than you. If you just get sick of it and are ready to "SHOW ME THAT TRUCK", then put them on the side that will block the spray, tell everyone to hang on, then let her rip.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
"Finally, take someone bigger than you. If you just get sick of it and are ready to "SHOW ME THAT TRUCK", then put them on the side that will block the spray, tell everyone to hang on, then let her rip. "

This is why I take Swhiting fishing with me. He is a professional at blocking any spray and much cheaper than having curtains put on the boat.

·
PDC Fishing Team
1,981 Posts
This is an example of how great this forum is. This thread alone has so many nuggets of wisdom. I hope here's more:

Want to keep getting invited out in the Gulf, help the captain have peace of mind and comfort about the ride. Step up to the plate and block some spray. Know how to position your body to become a "human trim tab". Some of you may have to move a couple steps to balance out a ride. I've seen pictures of others that may only have to move their big toe to adjust the ride of the whole boat :) :)

These comments are just for the ride. There is way more you can do to for the pre-trip, fishing part and post-trip to ensure future invites, but they are covered in other threads.....

·
Registered
4,232 Posts
We live here. There is always next weekend. We don't absolutely "HAVE" to go. The older I get, the more my balls seem to shrink in size while my brain increases. I hate "Guts" tournament rules. As much as rescheduling a tournament costs, it is definitelythe prudent thing to do.

Slowing down helps most times. If you pay attention to your boat, it will tell you what speed is best for prevailing conditions. Load distributionis a huge factor as is judicious use of trim tabs and engine tilt.

Fishing is supposed to be fun. When I have to sit down and pull a butt vacuum on the seat just so I can fight a fish and stay in the boat, it isn't fun. The visit to the Chiropractor after a bumpy trip isn't fun either.

The balls/brain relationship I mentioned earlier has made me a safer boater and fisherman. As a charter captain for lots of years, I always paid attention to SCAs and SCCs. Common sense came into play a lot of times when conditions began to deteriorate. I'd imagine an insurance company would be none too happy if you filed an injury claim when you clearly shouldn't have been fishing. Fortunately, I neverhad to filea single injury claim on my liability insurance.

Be safe---not sorry. Being stupid can get you hurt or killed. (IMHO)

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Absolutely fantastic nuggets of info--To answer some of the questions--Chop to me is anything that I have to adjust trim or speed to deal with. I have a 65 gallon tank and a21' modified deep V hull. I am flirting with the idea of trim tabs and had the dolphin tab on the lower unit but took it off. Thanks for all the great info--you can't beat the PFF and all of it's members extensive knowledge.

·
stonecoldshooter
1,757 Posts
Seems most of the logical has been covered, so I'll be the comedian.

If you just can't stand it, & you have to go; just put in a mouth piece drop the hammer and go! Trim tabs down helps in this scenario. My glass guy loves this response.

·
Praedator
10,009 Posts
Run Dover (2/9/2010)One big thing I learned is your "fishing plan"

It seemed like last summer the waves were primarily out of the west. So I started going WSW (not directly into the waves) and stop to fish in a few spots, by the time we are ready to head home, we have worked our way west enough to almost have a following sea.

I learned that the hard way, headed east and when it was time to return, head sea the whole way. :banghead
This is what I do as well. I only have a 19' boat. When there is even a moderate chop on the water it can bang my kidneys to death to run at speed sometimes. I usually have at least two fishing plans. One to head southwest and one to run southeast. And which one I end up doing is based on wind and wave direction if I can help it. The chop and waves tend to pick up in the afternoon. (Typically) So I do not mind heading into a slight chop in the morning knowing that it is going to be bigger in the afternoon. And I usually am up to running head on into thechop in the morning because I am rested and full of energy. After a long day of diving and fishing I like to have a following sea if I can help it.

But the next biggest thing is to not get in a hurry. With my size boat, I often times have to find the perfect speed to get in between the chop or get fast enough to get on top of it if it's a small chop. But there usually is an ideal speed that your boat will feel and take the waves a bit easier.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Run Dover (2/9/2010)One big thing I learned is your "fishing plan"

This is exactly what we do as well. Keeping up with the forecast and weather/wind trends can make for a more comfortable day going out, trolling, and coming in along with polishing your boat skills. Likesea monkeysaid too....its ok to "zig zag" for a more comfortable ride. Definately listen to Purple Haze advice.

·
Registered
125 Posts
This Forum has a lot of good information,:bowdown

The trick is Trial & Error it is all about

your Boat and see what works best for you :banghead

for me it is a Fat boy i can move around to help block any spray .

·
Registered
755 Posts
Get something with a low center of gravity. IE .. diesel powered

1 - 18 of 18 Posts