Pensacola Fishing Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Super Moderator
29,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I borrowed a Marlin 17 HMR from a buddy so I could try slaughtering some tree rats at my place. So when I got home from work this afternoon, me and Logan set out for my food plots and feeders. We started out on the west end of my property shooting at em from 75 yards. Logan wacked 2 of em and I came up w/ misses:banghead:letsdrink We then walked the woods around here seeing ifin we could locate any in the tree's, sono shots! We then walked down to the east end and ran a tree rat off. We sat in the buddy stand and waited fer a while. 2 came out and it was daddy's turn so I waxed them (40-50 yards). We then walked up toward the west end again and sat at about 75 yards. After a couple misses, I took the trigger and waxed another 1! I looked behind us and there was a nannie at the east feeder that took off. I saw a squirell at the east feeder and told Logan to try it. He shot and missed. So he is watching the west and I am watching the east. I saw another squirell at the east so I grabbed the gun and while looking through the scope a small spike walked out and I fired a shot right past his nose and missed the squirell:doh but the deer just sat there...He calmly walked off and I just shook my head. Well it's crunch time and I am up by 1 so I let Logan have the gun and I went to retrieve my tree rat at the west feeder. I heard Logan shoot and then a thumbs up:letsdrink He shot it at the east end which was about 125 yards (longest shot of the day). So we ended up w/ 6 tree rats and a great time. We had a few misses but not too many....:doh:letsdrink Logan really likes that gun so I'll be forking out some cash ta get me 1... Enjoy the :takephoto:takephoto:takephoto:letsdrink:letsdrink:letsdrink

·
twiceRetired Serve No One
4,331 Posts
That 17 HMR is a new thing to this old man who only used a 22

even though i have so many ammo can of foreign ammo around ,i gotta get me one of those!

I grew up on squirrel and dumplings . that is the only way i know to get all the meat off.

·
Registered
710 Posts
thats some great shooting, I have 2 17hmr's and love shooting them. I am looking to shoot a few yotes with mine before I go up to Pa to shoot ground hogs.

·
Registered
749 Posts
Nice shooting LOGAN, not bad yourself Jason. Brown Gravy and Onions or you going to stew em? BBob

·
Registered
11,189 Posts
^^^^^ ah just stew em and pour em over some yella rice, mmmmm^^^^ Nice shootin logan, you gotta teach papa how to shoot that far!

·
Registered
112 Posts
nice set of squirrels you have. I cant think of too many more fun things to do than blast some squirrels. you would have never saw the spike if you were deer hunting

·
Super Moderator
20,472 Posts
Man that gun looks just like mine.:poke Looks like yall are having some fun with it, yall keep it as long as Logan wants to. Congrats and bust some more squirels. If you need some more ammo come buy the house and pick up this other box.

·
Registered
2,578 Posts
Very nice for sure!! I like the pics....thanks for sharing:clap....maybe... try for the head to save some of the meat....thats the only place I will aim and it makes it easier to clean without pulling them apart....just a thought....congrats on some fine shoot'in

I have heard of some people that will never head shoot them..... as they like the brains:sick....never tried that and don't think I want too either:sick

·
Super Moderator
29,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Splittine (2/28/2010)Man that gun looks just like mine.:poke Looks like yall are having some fun with it, yall keep it as long as Logan wants to. Congrats and bust some more squirels. If you need some more ammo come buy the house and pick up this other box.
Heck, We haven't even opened the new box yet.....:letsdrink You gotta put feelers out fer me fer this gun ifin you aint gonna part w/ her:letsdrink

As fer the cooking, I use to fry em.....but I have enough that I just might put em in the crock pot. Not to mention I'll try to pop a few tomorrow if anyone is game.....:letsdrink

1 - 13 of 13 Posts