Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm taking a one night camping trip to Johnson Beach. I've never surf fished before but am an avid freshwater and and bass fisherman. I prefer artificial but can do real bait if a necessity. I plan on stopping by the pass and using swim baits and spoons for a Red. But will do most of my fishing on Johnson Beach as I will be camping there. If anyone can help make sure this one shot at surf fishing is a successful one, I would be more than appreciative for any tips or current updates! PM me if you do not care to tell the world the tips...
Thanks in advanced!:notworthy:
Isaiah 43:2

·
Registered
373 Posts
My experience is more rods the better and try different things. 4 rods out. 2 with float hooks and 2 with pomp rigs. Bring a 5th rod and put a lady head on their. Or you could do 1 float hook 2 pomp rigs 1 shark rigs for 2-6ft and 1 with a spoon or gotcha in the surf. So your not just sitting and waiting. If you cant catch anything off any of those patterns all you can do is say its a slow day and i tried my best gl!:thumbup:

·
Blue man fishing Inc.
1,418 Posts
If you are camping at JB you are not relegated to surf fishing only...you'll have the gulf on one side and Big Lagoon on the other.Excellent wade fishing on the lagoon side. Can fish for flounder,reds, and specs on the lagoon side as well as surf fishing. Just a FYI

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My experience is more rods the better and try different things. 4 rods out. 2 with float hooks and 2 with pomp rigs. Bring a 5th rod and put a lady head on their. Or you could do 1 float hook 2 pomp rigs 1 shark rigs for 2-6ft and 1 with a spoon or gotcha in the surf. So your not just sitting and waiting. If you cant catch anything off any of those patterns all you can do is say its a slow day and i tried my best gl!:thumbup:
I'm thinking one float rig, one pomp rig, and the other spoon or swimbait? I hear the hike to the camp area is pretty far. The pomp rig is the yellow and orange bait? Would you put sand fleas or shrimp on the float rig or pomp rig? Like I said I've never fished salt water.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If you are camping at JB you are not relegated to surf fishing only...you'll have the gulf on one side and Big Lagoon on the other.Excellent wade fishing on the lagoon side. Can fish for flounder,reds, and specs on the lagoon side as well as surf fishing. Just a FYI
Man, I didn't think of that at all! That's awesome! How would I fish the Lagoon side? Would I just keep walking till I could see them on top or just start fishing??Would I need waders?
Thanks so much guys!

·
Registered
373 Posts
I'm thinking one float rig, one pomp rig, and the other spoon or swimbait? I hear the hike to the camp area is pretty far. The pomp rig is the yellow and orange bait? Would you put sand fleas or shrimp on the float rig or pomp rig? Like I said I've never fished salt water.
The pomp rig has the 2 to 3 hook with floats on them with connection to a weight. I would use strictly sand fleas, unless you have fresh peeled shrimp. Also if you want to only bring three rods. I would consider a 4th just because after you do catch a lady, hard-tail, croaker etc. You could use like a 1 to 2 in chunch for a bigger red. I caught my personal record this year using a thin piece of 5 in lady fish about 75 yards out. 43 in coming in a 46.3#. just a thought

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Is it simple to catch sand fleas on beach or do you buy them? Also, does Powerbaits artificial sand fleas work?

·
Registered
373 Posts
Is it simple to catch sand fleas on beach or do you buy them? Also, does Powerbaits artificial sand fleas work?
Very simple, buy the 10 dollar rake at walmart and you will catch enough bait for two days in 30 min. Don't waste the money on artificial sand fleas. Go buy gulp shrimp or doa with that money:thumbup:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts